Votes: 24 92.3%
  • Youra jerk.

Votes: 1 3.8%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was selling a bunch of junk that I don't need at the Bike Swap yesterday, and among the stuff was a wheel. This was my old commuter hub, laced to a Velocity Dyad rim. The wheel was built-up, but had never been used. The hub had at least 6000 miles on it, but is in great shape. Anyway, about 50 people or so walked by and looked at it and any time anybody picked it up or looked at it I would point out that the hub is Campagnolo. So a dude paid $50 for it, which is very cheap I thought. The rim alone is $65. Anyway, he came back after about 10 minutes, and wanted me to take the wheel back because he is a "Shimano Man" and couldn't use it. I was about to take it back, until I noticed that the stickers had been removed from the rim.

I didn't take the wheel back. Would you?

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Nope.

If you're dumb enough to buy something without checking it out and seeing if it will work, then that's your own fault.

If you buy something from a store, alter it, then realize you can't use it, they don't take it back, so why should you?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
You should have taken it back, but only offered him $25 for it. Call it a restocking fee. After all, he altered it by removing the stickers.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
robdamanii said:
Nope.

If you're dumb enough to buy something without checking it out and seeing if it will work, then that's your own fault.

If you buy something from a store, alter it, then realize you can't use it, they don't take it back, so why should you?
If you're dumb enough to underprice someone at a swap...and then not ask about compatability on the wheel you're buying-you deserve to be parted from your money and be left with a useless wheel....especially if you remove any stickers.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mohair_chair said:
You should have taken it back, but only offered him $25 for it. Call it a restocking fee. After all, he altered it by removing the stickers.
He basically turned it into a generic rim. That's why I wouldn't take it back. He did offer to take $40 for it, but if I had any use for it I wouldn't have been selling it at the bike swap. I literally have no use for the thing, since I sold the rest of the group that went with it earlier that morning.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
No. If he altered the item after sale, he has no business trying to return it.

But at least he offered it back for his refund. I sold a set of cogs on Ebay a while back. Campy 8-speed which I did not need because I no longer had any Campy 8 speed hubs.

Guy gives positive feedback, and then a month later petitions paypal for a refund saying the teeth were bent, which was baloney. Anyway, after some emails, I agreed to do the refund thru paypal according to their rules. He had to mail back, give paypal evidence of the mailing, and paypal would do the funds transfer, less his shipping cost. OK, with me.

Guy didn't want to return the part. He wanted a refund and wanted to keep the cogs with the bent teeth.

Needless to say paypal did not transfer the funds back.

Some people.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
I didn't take the wheel back. Would you?
I'd tell him the Italians cheat.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
i would take it back. Beat him over the head with it, and stabs him in da spleen

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Fredke said:
I'd tell him the Italians cheat.

I heard they stick frame pumps in wheels.

joe

·
Registered
800 Posts
I sold a pair of older Mavic wheels on CL last month and the guy broke a spoke trying to true them up. He wanted some money back and I actually offered a small refund he eventually declined and left it at that. I had no idea of the condition of the wheels since they came on a complete used bike I got on ebay and I disclosed that and the age.

Used stuff is a mixed bag, you have to really know what you are looking at and never expect a warranty for return unless you pay for one.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
I would only have given his money back if he had not taken the sticker off. Since he altered them he gets to keep them.

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
And for all we know he could have been a complete scammer, putting the stickers on some crap wheels of his own to try to upsell. It is, after all, the gaba bike swap....

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blue CheeseHead said:
Had he not removed the stickers, I would have taken it back. Since the stickers were removed, he can now use it as a wall ornament or sell it on eBay.
That's where I was on the deal. If the stickers weren't removed I would have given him a full refund and taken the wheel back. Without the stickers I was unwilling to give him the $40 and take the wheel back.

Actually, I have seen cheater casettes that make Campy casettes work on Shimano hubs and Shimano casettes work on Campy hubs. I don't remember who though.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
Did this happen in Sandy Eggo?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I would have stabbed him in the neck with a spork.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.