Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Jon and I'm a graduate student at SDSU doing a new product development class during the summer. I really need your help to gather some data from actual spinners. This is strictly an educational endeavor.

Please take 1 minute to fill out the survey at the link below:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3XDGYKL

You all rock! Spin on!

-Jon
SDSU Grad Student

· Registered
792 Posts
I thought about this a few years ago, but I remember reading that the amount of energy produced is pretty minimal considering what it takes to light/heat/cool a gym.
What's the difference in this idea?

· Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Is your idea similar to this? I also remember a story where a group of cyclists powered a SiCortex "super-computer" for a while.

· Registered
158 Posts
I joined Lifetime Fitness a few years back mainly for their spinng classes. This led me to road cycling. I rarely attend spin class because the bikes are in such poor condition it's a shame.
The electric producing bike is a cool idea but i see a big maintanance problem.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah...

what's funny is that most green things actually do more harm to the environment collectively than most people realize.

just look at the prius. harvesting the lithium to make the batteries, the amount of shipping and the total net energy spent building them negates everything and more than what they are saving for the extra gas mileage...but then again, people will buy them.

funny how the world works.

plus I'm an engineer and the energy production from the bikes was the first thing I told the project leader...I just want to finish the project and move on with my technical life haha.

Thanks to all for filled out the survey and those who still will.

· Registered
269 Posts
SDSUKID said:
just look at the prius. harvesting the lithium to make the batteries, the amount of shipping and the total net energy spent building them negates everything and more than what they are saving for the extra gas mileage...but then again, people will buy them.
Maybe a little off-topic, but (sorta) pertinent to this post...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk

· Registered
950 Posts
The "survey" looks more like an ad to me. Our gym uses Keiser spin bikes with magnetic resistance and a power calculation. Bikes like these motivate me to go to the gym more than the traditional felt pad resistance spin bikes. The green stuff is usually just silly when you do a total life-cycle analysis.

· Registered
838 Posts
53T said:
Wow, this is really silly, unless you have never taken any engineering or physics classes, then it is a good idea. QUOTE]

You might have enjoyed hearing what a lady told me the other day when I was standing in line at a bakery at the turn-around point of my fairly mountainous ride. She expressed her admiration for someone who could climb the mountain, bikes being so green, and suggested that a great idea would be solar powered bikes.

I was literally speachless. Forget about where to put panels on a bike, forget about the weight of the whole rig.... what about the fact that I was DRIPPING WET from having done the last half of my ride in the rain?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.