Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Doping Thread and the GNC video of riding a hidden motor bicycle, it looks like the technology is very good and they can make a bike that looks like a normal road bike and weighs in at a light weight. Got me thinking, would I ever own something like this? I'm 46 and a bit out of shape and if you had asked me this question in my youth, I would have said no way, HTFU! But I think now I would consider it. There are many times that my mind and ego want to ride well beyond what my body can do. I know, I know, train and get in shape to do it. But there are many times I will go out for a 2 hours ride and I'd love to continue maybe 10 miles more or just be able to coast in if I over exert myself. It would be handy to have that little reserve to fall back on.
I'm not talking racing here, not even gran fondo or century rides here. I don't even know if I'd want to use it on a group ride. But I ride a lot by myself or with my sig other. It would be perfect for that.
What do you all think?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I think it is indeed perfect for many. They listed many reasons like being able to keep up on rides with stronger cyclists and/or riding with a spouse. You list another good one about being able to go out longer and harder and use the assistance to get home safe and sound. If you ask me, there's no stopping it. It'll get even better and even lighter and most importantly even cheaper. I predict wide spread popularity and their place in the LBS soon to come.

Very controversial topic indeed because of competition. And Strava is set to lose out pretty big time here. For sanctioned competition there will soon be a way for the masses to scan bikes like the UCI can now, I'm not concerned there. But for Strava... well... this is likely the end of Strava to be honest. In terms of it's validity that is. Currently it's quite viable or at least is considered as such. Unless of course they can come up with some sort of way of detecting it via data like you can easily detect a ride posted via digital epo.

And would I own one? No, not yet anyway. When I get older maybe? Who knows. No need now. Currently it's all about the suffering.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
No. Worse than an "e-bike". I still don't get the acceptance of motorbikes as bikes. I have some buddies in their 50s who play basketball. They're not in the shape they used to be. But get this - they don't lower the basket. My friends who play tennis don't use giant rackets, and they keep the net at the same height. My running friends don't use heelys. Okay, old golfers might choose the ladies T. If that's what you're shooting for, well I guess it's time to STFU.

Riders who can't ride as far... shouldn't go as far. If they can't go as fast... they'll go slower.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you need such a thing just own it like an Ebike. If you are trying to hide something it means you know you shouldn't be doing it.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Out of all the pros and all the cons, only one of them matters to me--the sense of accomplishment.

That sense of accomplishment is easily 90% of why I ride. Why would I want to eff that up?

As for other people, it's not for me to say how they live their life.

Except for competition. Then I'm with the lifetime ban crowd.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I do not want one myself or even e-shifting which is about the same thing. However for recreational riding if somebody wants a motor exposed or hidden or motors for shifting or braking I do not care. I just do not want any of it. I just like riding a regular road bike. I do not have any electronic stuff on my bike at all. . My Garmin mount broke and so I tossed it in my jersey pocket and discovered I like it in the pocket better. So now I do not have a Garmin mounted. However I may put it back on sometime or just use my phone with Strava app and lose one gadget.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
If it bothered me that I couldn't go as fast as the young guys on their race bikes, I'd just get a Harley Davidson and not go as fast as the young guys on their crotch rockets.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
if you need a 'motor,' you've reached a point in life where you've ceased to be a cyclist.

·
Banned
748 Posts
I would rather have an ebike I ride because it keeps me healthy mentally and physically and it's the best way to explore any area People that would use a hidden motor in a race are sad sick little people

·
Cycling Addict
5,178 Posts
I figure that I will consider them when I am in my 80s. Hopefully, by then battery technology will have developed to the point that you can have a decent range on a very light battery. I don't like the electric assist bikes they have now because they are too heavy (and thus they ride sluggishly when not in assist mode). But if you could have a 20-25 lb assist bike then when I am old and lacking in endurance I could see riding one of those. It would still allow me to take long rides in the country, which is a big part of the joy of cycling. For now, I am too addicted to the endurance endorphins to look at an electric assist but there may come the day...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I figure that I will consider them when I am in my 80s. Hopefully, by then battery technology will have developed to the point that you can have a decent range on a very light battery. I don't like the electric assist bikes they have now because they are too heavy (and thus they ride sluggishly when not in assist mode). But if you could have a 20-25 lb assist bike then when I am old and lacking in endurance I could see riding one of those. It would still allow me to take long rides in the country, which is a big part of the joy of cycling. For now, I am too addicted to the endurance endorphins to look at an electric assist but there may come the day...
I stopped in at Calfee Bike Manufacturing a couple of months ago and they had a tandem bike with a 700watt assist motor. I asked the guy who would buy a bike like that and he said older couples who can afford nice things buy the bike because they can ride 80 miles along the coast and without the motor they would be limited to a short ride around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would love to have a small internal motor in my commuter. This bike is dedicated to ride back and forth to work, and the last four miles is a fairly significant climb. I hate getting to work all sweaty.

Wouldn't need it for the ride home though. :)

I'm well beyond the stage in my life where I'm trying to prove anything to anyone, including myself. I don't ride fast to beat other peoples times, or to improve my PR's. If I feel like riding fast, I do, because I like to ride fast. If I don't feel like it, I don't.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think it would me great to install and then show up your normal group ride. Then tell them you worked out extra hard over the off season. Then fess up after you made them work extra hard.:aureola:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've toyed with the idea of getting an e-bike for commuting and running errands and stuff where I don't need a car. Making it less likely to be stolen is the only reason I would consider a hidden motor e-bike. Though i'm sure a hidden motor is even more expensive, so...meh.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts