Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
get some nasty road rash and bike is fine?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
As long as I don't ding my top tube, I'd be OK either way.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I would say that's one of the stupidest f---ing questions imaginable, EXCEPT that I have heard riders, more than one, describe deliberately absorbing crash impacts with their bodies in order to avoid scratching their bikes. I just shake my head in wonder . . .

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My six year likes to play a game called "Would your rather"

It goes something like this.

"Would you rather fall into a black hole? Or would you rather get eaten by a shark?"

I'll add this one to the list next time I play with him.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Is the bike a custom Geo Titanium Moots or an "Asian" built carbon disposable?

And how extensive would the road rash be? A bit on the knee and shoulder, or something that requires a skin graft from the good side of my arse?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
My feeling is this:

You can always get a new bike.

You can't get a new body.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
My experience with crashes, including one in 2012 that put me in the hospital a week, is that you have little control over the situation. You just hope to live through it and be able to ride again, whether on the bike involved in the crash with new scratches or a new ride. I definitely took the worst of the 2012 crash as the bike only needed to have the front wheel trued and the bars straightened whereas my pelvis was fractured in three places.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Would you prefer to break a bone (say arm or leg) or break a frame?

(Sorry, posts crossed -- I wasn't referring to the one above!)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
I would say that's one of the stupidest f---ing questions imaginable, EXCEPT that I have heard riders, more than one, describe deliberately absorbing crash impacts with their bodies in order to avoid scratching their bikes. I just shake my head in wonder . . .
This.

Reminds me of that joke where a driver of an exotic sports car gets in an accident with another car. Police are at the scene. Dialogue goes like this:

Driver: Oh no! My beautiful car is totally ruined. No matter what the body shop can do, it will never be the same.

Police Officer: How callous and unfeeling can you possibly be! All you are concerned about is your car, you didn't even notice that your arm is missing!

Driver: Holy s#!t!!! My Rolex is gone!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,808 Posts
You're right, it's stupid, and...I did exactly that, one time.

I'd just gotten my bike back from being repainted (a really marvelous high-gloss enamel two-color job, with contrasts on the ornate lugwork to set everything off) and had rebuilt it all up and was taking a test ride...when the rear wheel decided to collapse. I wasn't going at speed at all, and had a nanosecond to react, so I threw my body down while trying to keep the bike and its beautiful paint job in the air. All I could think about was that I didn't want to scratch a brand new paint job that hadn't even made it 100 feet yet.

And that's how I got to be on a first-name basis with my chiropractor.

I did not scratch the bike, but I could've paid for another fine paint job with what I ended up paying "Brad" (and then "Mark," and "Ron," when I moved to another city and started going to different chiropractors).

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
^ I applaud that reaction to save your new paint.

Most questions of this sort come down to specific levels of injury.

I'll take all the rash a road can offer to save my bike, just short of breaking a major bone in my body (probably).

This is sort of a Sophie's Choice type of question with me ... and my bikes that cannot easily be replaced.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There are varying degrees of road rash, and varying degrees of paint chips.

I'd take a case of minor road rash (lets say, one that can be managed with some neosporin and some bandages and doesnt require stitches, or an extended vacation from riding) over a 'paint chip' on a carbon bike. I've lived that pain (it was bad enough that I chose to have it repaired over risking that the carbon below may be damaged) and I would prefer the pain of the minor road rash.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Depends

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree. And I am the first person who would get upset at a serious gash (no matter how inevitable it may be) on my nice road bike. Not talking about all those barely visible dings you get just by looking at the bike wrong lol. But like some terrible gash.

Still, in the end, I can always buy a new bike and I only have one body. Given the choice, and the inevitable heartbreak that would ensue, then gun to my head, I would have to say mark up my bike and leave my body alone.

But that's me.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
You're right, it's stupid, and...I did exactly that, one time.

I'd just gotten my bike back from being repainted (a really marvelous high-gloss enamel two-color job, with contrasts on the ornate lugwork to set everything off) and had rebuilt it all up and was taking a test ride...when the rear wheel decided to collapse. I wasn't going at speed at all, and had a nanosecond to react, so I threw my body down while trying to keep the bike and its beautiful paint job in the air. All I could think about was that I didn't want to scratch a brand new paint job that hadn't even made it 100 feet yet.

And that's how I got to be on a first-name basis with my chiropractor.

I did not scratch the bike, but I could've paid for another fine paint job with what I ended up paying "Brad" (and then "Mark," and "Ron," when I moved to another city and started going to different chiropractors).
You bring back not so pleasant memories! I still remember lifting my legs up cradling the bike while hitting the road and sliding. Funny thing is I did not counciously think to do that, it's just happened. A broken shoulder blade and five broken ribs later the bike escaped untouched.
If I had a choice on who or what I would prefer to concentrate the impact on, of course I would pick the bike, but some times things happen while on auto-drive and the 17 yr old takes over. Go figure!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts