Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read this article about Andy Hampsten's favorite bike -

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/pro-bike-andy-hampstens-cycles-strada-bianca-ti-16577

I'll bet Andy would be a blast to ride with. He always seemed like a guy that was down to earth and not full of self-importance and ego.

This kind of bike seems to be the do-all of the bike world. Just what I'm in the process of building. I guess it's closest to a 'cyclocross' bike than anything else.

· p != b
2,303 Posts
Mike T. said:
I guess it's closest to a 'cyclocross' bike than anything else.
It's almost like a bike that one could ride a short tour on. Maybe even go touring. I wonder what one might call such a creation...

(All snarkiness aside, it'd be nice to see bikes like this become mainstream, since it's what the majority of road bikes out there get used for.)

· Registered
5,270 Posts
bopApocalypse said:
It's almost like a bike that one could ride a short tour on. Maybe even go touring. I wonder what one might call such a creation...
Credit card touring, sure, but that bike is not designed to carry much more than a saddle bag.

Seems like companies are carrying lines of "Sport" bikes like the Trek Pilot, but I believe the geometry on Hampsten's bike is more aggressive than that?

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Mike T. said:
This kind of bike seems to be the do-all of the bike world. Just what I'm in the process of building. I guess it's closest to a 'cyclocross' bike than anything else.
Caliper brakes and seemingly tight clearance with slick 33Cs (or are those 27Cs). I'd say it is further from a "cyclocross" bike than anything else. Or is this that whole "cyclocross" as in "cycl(e)-o-cross-the-country" or "cycl(e)-cross-training" thing again?

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bopApocalypse said:
(All snarkiness aside, it'd be nice to see bikes like this become mainstream, since it's what the majority of road bikes out there get used for.)
It seems to be the coming thing. I spent a leisurely hour at the Hampsten site and Rivendell today. They're really into the do-all bikes - kinda like recreational cycocross bikes.

For those who have never been there and who are into this kind of bike, check out the Velo Orange site.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Caliper brakes and seemingly tight clearance with slick 33Cs (or are those 27Cs). I'd say it is further from a "cyclocross" bike than anything else. Or is this that whole "cyclocross" as in "cycl(e)-o-cross-the-country" or "cycl(e)-cross-training" thing again?
Aww lighten up PBB. I'm sure there are lots of people here who don't expect to take on Sven or Lars anytime soon. So maybe for them (us?) the ultimate in grip, clearance and lightness isn't the holy grail. Maybe "having fun our way" is.

4,405 Posts
Mike T. said:
Aww lighten up PBB. I'm sure there are lots of people here who don't expect to take on Sven or Lars anytime soon. So maybe for them (us?) the ultimate in grip, clearance and lightness isn't the holy grail. Maybe "having fun our way" is.
I'm just saying that for any "us" that includes me, that is not a "cyclocross" bike by any recognized definition of "cyclocross". Its not a matter of ultimate anything. That bike doesn't fit the most basic requirements.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
I'm just saying that for any "us" that includes me, that is not a "cyclocross" bike by any recognized definition of "cyclocross". Its not a matter of ultimate anything. That bike doesn't fit the most basic requirements.
I'm too lazy to go back and check but didn't I see you posting pics of a flat handlebar, single speed franken-"cross" bike a while back? I don't think I ever said Andy's bike WAS a cyclocross (as in 'tradionally accepted bike shape and equipment for the purpose of racing sanctioned Cyclocross races") bike. I just thought that this forum was the most appropriate for Andy's "do all" (for him) bike. I'm sure that many (most?) of this forum's frequenters are into the passtime of riding road style (loosely described) bikes off paved roads.

I couldn't resist looking -

And also in your file was this tire, labeled by you as "Cross - Road Tires" - looking awfully like Andy's Jack Brown tires. Ahemm. :eek: -

4,405 Posts
Mike T. said:
I don't think I ever said Andy's bike WAS a cyclocross (as in 'tradionally accepted bike shape and equipment for the purpose of racing sanctioned Cyclocross races") bike.
What you said was. . .
Mike T. said:
I guess it's closest to a 'cyclocross' bike than anything else.
And what I posted was all the reasons your guess isn't even close.

I am not sure what my 70's Univega (not a cyclocross bike) or a picture of a Rivendell tire (not a cyclocross tire) have to do with anything. Note that "Cross - Road Tires" was the name of the thread I responded to, not a label I applied to the picture. :eek:

For the record, Andy's bike is obviously closest to a touring bike. If you get bored here, maybe you can go to the Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports forum and post a bunch of threads about CF tubular wheelsets, Dugasts and how you don't want bottle bosses on your "touring" frame. :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,194 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
For the record, Andy's bike is obviously closest to a touring bike. If you get bored here, maybe you can go to the Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports forum and post a bunch of threads about CF tubular wheelsets, Dugasts and how you don't want bottle bosses on your "touring" frame. :rolleyes:
Oh man, I don't often "lol" but that was a pretty good one and I really did have to laugh.

You're abolutely right, of course. That is a touring bike, and there's no getting around it. I'll bet it's a pretty sweet touring bike at that- I'd take those long reach calipers over canti's any day if I was touring. There is a forum for those kinds of bikes and this one isn't it.

PBB, you're maybe a bit cranky in the off season! It was worth poking my head in here, the cross forum can get weird in the summer.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
wunlap togo said:
You're abolutely right, of course. That is a touring bike, and there's no getting around it. I'll bet it's a pretty sweet touring bike at that- I'd take those long reach calipers over canti's any day if I was touring. There is a forum for those kinds of bikes and this one isn't it.
What, except for the large tire clearance, makes it a touring bike?

Certainly not the gearing. No fender or rack bosses that I can see. No lighting system. Not much of a touring geometry.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
pretender said:

Certainly not the gearing. No fender or rack bosses that I can see. No lighting system. Not much of a touring geometry.

Ok, let's call it a credit card adventure bike.

It's a frame with "neutral handling" characteristics, S&S couplers, clearance and special brakes (that work on long descents and at high speed!) that provide room for big comfy tires. Did you read the article? Andy's leading tours in Italy n' stuff and this is his wicked custom bike that was designed with that in mind. It's a really cool bike (I built one of these for a guy who lives around here and worked for him leading these tours). It's basically a touring bike, albeit a special one that deviates from the traditional model for touring.

It's not a cyclocross bike.

· You call that running?
262 Posts
pretender said:

Pretender, I'm afraid you might be wrong on this one.

The 34 x 27T low gear is not far out of the norm for touring and it also has a rear light. If it it had racks and fenders, we'd all say "look, a touring bike". If it had cantilever brakes, 35c knobbies with mud clearance, and appropriate gearing for 'cross it would be a cyclocross bike. It is obviously pretty darn far from a cyclocross bike.

And bobApocalypse:
What does Andy selling a couple of bikes like this a year have to do with bikes of this sort going mainstream? It will be mainstream when Trek or Specialized make a knock off version with zertz dampers or an integrated seatpost, market it to lawyers and doctors, and sell a few thousand units a year.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
The Sundance Kid said:
Pretender, I'm afraid you might be wrong on this one.

The 34 x 27T low gear is not far out of the norm for touring and it also has a rear light. If it it had racks and fenders, we'd all say "look, a touring bike". If it had cantilever brakes, 35c knobbies with mud clearance, and appropriate gearing for 'cross it would be a cyclocross bike. It is obviously pretty darn far from a cyclocross bike.
We're obviously mired in semantics here, but I'm just saying that bike is no more a "touring" bike than a "cross" bike.

d2p has it right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.