Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now granted, I'm not training to race, or even to get faster. I just cycle for fitness but enjoy trying to pursue personal bests. I'm 54, 85 kgs and while I don't ride long distances anymore, I find that I've increased the intensity of my short ~37 minute rides seemingly without penalty. It helps that fall is coming so I will start to ride less (or indoors).

During the month of August I cycled 27 days, 575 kms (357 miles) with an average power 262, NP 277 and IF 0.931. Every day but one I had an IF of >=0.900. That never happens to me. I missed 4 days because I went to a friend's cottage so those were my recovery days. But the last 26 days of August were all riding days.

I'm sure that hammering every day for a short distance isn't anyone's idea of a training plan and I'm not suggesting it is. It's just the way I enjoy riding. Probably explains why I cycle solo. Anyone else cycle like this? Feel free to mock me for posting this, I've got thick skin.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hmmm I think one night I might of biked 3 blocks to my house with a 1.4 BAC?? Couldn't measure it without calling a cop though..

Rest of the month is was actually 0 for every ride.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why is this a strange month according to you? Do you feel different?
Hitting 90% IF is always hard for me. Doing it 26 days in a row (albeit short rides) is not something I've done before. Not that I was planning to hit this mark, it just happened as I felt like I had energy each day.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No mocking here. Most of my rides are short like that (commuting). I enjoy it. I have no idea how my speed, or whatever (I don't know what most of those abbreviations mean) compares to yours, because I don't track any data. But I have fun, I try to go hard, and I feel like I'm staying in shape. I'm glad you do, too. I'm 66.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Keep it up! Maybe one day you can rival thisisthebeave at wattage numbers...as long as he's not too busy taking out homeless people.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Perhaps your FTP has increased and therefore your IF is actually lower? When is the last time you measured?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
You might have simply adapted to that specific kind of ride? You do 1 ride 27 days in a row you get good at that one ride maybe? That's a nice power number, it would be interesting to know the effect on other kinds of rides? Like now compare your data on a 40 mile ride to an old 40 mile ride when you did that more often? You are riding like 10 miles-ish right? You shorter rides might be absolutely awesome! Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might have simply adapted to that specific kind of ride? You do 1 ride 27 days in a row you get good at that one ride maybe? That's a nice power number, it would be interesting to know the effect on other kinds of rides? Like now compare your data on a 40 mile ride to an old 40 mile ride when you did that more often? You are riding like 10 miles-ish right? You shorter rides might be absolutely awesome! Just thinking out loud...
I'm moving to B.C. next week so my route and the landscape will all change.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I train as you do I find my calves and quads get too big and vascular- any pointers on how to deal with this?

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I'm moving to B.C. next week so my route and the landscape will all change.
That certainly messes with the data... Is there a velo in BC? Your track fitness is probably fabulous!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That certainly messes with the data... Is there a velo in BC? Your track fitness is probably fabulous!
Meh, the data is just data. I look forward to the change in venue, plus it's incredibly flat where I cycle now so some rolling hills will be nice. There will be no velo where I'm going, sandwiched between two very small (<5,000 people) towns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.