Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, the first ride of the season hurts! When you live in the frosty Northeast and spend most of the winter on the trainer (as well as getting fatter) the first real ride of the year hurts like h*ll. Adding in the low 40's temps and 20 mph wind makes it especially fun. Anyone hate the early season rides as much as I do?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Took one on Saturday and posted about a heckler in another thread. Upper 30's with a light wind. 20 miles on my new mountain single speed because the roads are sandy and a little broken up from winter. I wanted to give it a good shake down cruise. It was a very enjoyable ride except for my hands. I wore a light XC ski glove which was too light for the temps. My hands were blocks of ice but everything else was toasty. I hate trainers and my winter conditioning is spinning. I must say the ride was pretty easy, even compared to a comparable mid season ride of the same course. I have high hopes of slipping into regular road riding with ease. I have to keep up the spinning because we got 4 inches of snow Sunday and road riding will be done for the next few days. An early season (April 22) tandem century is on the calendar as well as a late May trip to Colorado (road and mountain). I really enjoy the early season. No bugs, lighter traffic, no overheating. I find I'm less intense and more willing to just enjoy the ride and my surroundings than I am in July.

·
Registered
205 Posts
SATURDAY was beautiful in Wi...

Saturday was BEAUTIFUL... high of 36, no wind to speak of, bright sunshine. The GF just got a new cyclocross bike, so we did our usual 56 mile loop. She nailed a pile of snow on a turn pretty hard, and the 'cross bike saved her from chewing sand... at least saved her from a whanged rim. Otherwise the roads were totally clean and dry.

"Hey Speedy! How are your toes?"
"Putting those heat packets under my booties really works! They are fine!"
"No, I mean- how are your toes, because you are kicking my @SS!"

Not only is she in better shape and faster than me, but I forgot that my 'cross bike is set up to race- my lowest is 39x26T. Our favorite hill is about 350' vertical and hits 10% in spots... I could stay in the saddle, but went deep in to the red zone... leg cramps started up about 3 miles post-climb! OW!!!! If I had my wind, I would have climbed out of the saddle. So... serious skating in winter: good leg strength, but not for multi-hour endurance. The GF kicked my butt on that hill, seriously kicked my butt. I'm a lucky man.

Sunday- 4 inches of snow. Welcome to Wisconsin. I guess it's not time to remove the knobby tires just yet!

'meat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts