Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or 1.5 down 5 to go, as in tons. Of rock. To move. 1 shovel full at a time.

I decided that putting down mulch around the outside of the house was like peeing money away every year so I took the plunge and decided that river rock/gravel was the route to go. Bought the edging, bought the fabric, 6.5 tons of rock delivered this AM. I probably got about 30% of the total job done today. I'm tired as 'ell. I did put done mulch in the area where my shrubs are located but the majority of the outer perimeter will be rock. It will look better once it gets the mud washed off. I can't even imagine what a landscaper would charge me to do this.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
just eat your Wheaties and consider it a badass workout routine. people pay Crossfit a ton of cash to lift up heavy stuff and throw it around.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That is a good work out. How much time you spending on it each day? Should have gotten it delivered on a shooter truck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ha, it reminds me of when I was a kid. At 12, my dad ordered me to go get the waste soil from one of our neighbours who just had a hole dug up for his swimming pool.

I just had a bad shovel and a wheelbarrow. I calculated, at 100 pounds in the wheelbarrow, I moved 2 tons of soil. What I got (appart from sweat): lots of blisters, and 20 francs (the currency at the time in France, now it would be something like 4 bucks).

It taught me what hard work really is ;)
Only problem is that my dad wasn't sure I understood, so he regularly gave me such jobs to make sure I remembered.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is actually a work in progress

I'm chipping away at it. Pretty sure I will run out of edging and weed barrier and will continue putting down rock until I do. I'm working on it about 5 hours a day or until I get tired out. I was smart enough to wear leather gloves so I don't have any blisters on my hands and I'm using a short handled coal shovel to move the gravel. Using my small dump cart that i pull behind my lawn tractor. It is still heavy.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Pxxors, as per RWard. KTHXBAI!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
river rock....the round stuff?....GAWD that sh!t is hard to shovel.......the absolute worst ever!
I have about 2 or 3 ton's left from a couple projects I was working on...just as a tip, take it or leave it...put 2 layers of landscape fabric down, it lasts a bit longer.

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
1,641 Posts
Previous owner put gravel around the house and it sucks. Can't plant anything because it's impossible to dig. They didn't add enough dirt beneath it to properly grade away from the house, so rain water fills the sump quickly. I would love to dig it all out and backfill with dirt but that's a job I don't even want to start

EDIT: Oh, they didn't add the weed fabric either so all we can grow is weeds! grrrr

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some pics

The work in progress. First few are the completed work the last few are the reason for the rocks. Don't think I have a weed problem do you? The big bronze colored thing is going to become the GRAND FIRE PIT!! Where the virgins will be sacrificed.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yer screwed. I guess you already figured that out

Mr Wood said:
Previous owner put gravel around the house and it sucks. Can't plant anything because it's impossible to dig. They didn't add enough dirt beneath it to properly grade away from the house, so rain water fills the sump quickly. I would love to dig it all out and backfill with dirt but that's a job I don't even want to start

EDIT: Oh, they didn't add the weed fabric either so all we can grow is weeds! grrrr
W/O the fabric weed barrier your only option is to spray weed kill to control and if you have to do that then it will kill everything you plant. I don't think I would dig it out, I'd go right over top of it with a good few inches of top soil, mulch, peat moss.

If I decide to plant shrubs or whatever, my rocks are large enough that I just remove them, cut out the fabric and plant and refill any space with the rocks.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i had 2.5 tons delivered back in May - took me a month to move it all. of course i also had top prep where i was putting it... the final 5 yards are in a pile waiting for the wife to move her flowers so i can install the last rain barrel and spread the rocks.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
You want your kids to keep focused in college, have them do a project like this. Or better yet work a job that requires this during the summer. Then they will learn what manual labor is all about. Remind them they will get to do this every day for the rest of their lives if they don't keep their grades up.

Worked for me.

PS - Rocks look good. Get busy on that firepit, mister!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts