Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this, here or retro.. but here goes..

Ok, so here’s the question. I KNOW there a FEW of you guys/girls here that remember when you wrapped your bars, you started in the center, by the stem and neatly tucked the ends into the bars and jammed the end plugs in. Well I have done that on more than a few bikes in the last few years to avoid the hideous black tape and/or electrical tape. I understand the reason for doing it the OTHER way, with soft flexible “squishy” tape in as much as when you move your hands from the bar ends towards the center, the “leading” edges tends to catch the hands or gloves. If you know what I mean, then you have obviously done it. I FAR prefer the appearance of the bars wrapped that way BUT here’s the deal. I just spent 70 bucks on Brooks tape in antique brown to match my saddle and I hate to have it catch or curl….

I know a few of you have used the Brooks and if I wrap them the “right” way (old school, center out) am I going to have trouble?
Dave? Wim?……Mr. V…….(yeah all you old guys…….LOL)

My experiment with the cork and poly shades was a mixed success, it looks great but the cork tape I used contained NOT MUCH cork and the urethane is wearing off.

Next question, I have the stock bars on my Bianchi yet…BLACK……I have replaced the stem with a nitto technomic, the seat post with a nitto and want to put the nitto Randonneur bars on it before I re-wrap, that will complete my build. NOW…the nitto bars are not grooved for the cables, which is less an issue than whether the “splayed” out bars are going to be a problem with the campy ergo shifters. I have a set of nitto randonneur bars on my Langster so I can try it on the training stand and see, but looking for opinions.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks......I wish the cloth tape was brown though....looks like "tailors bias tape" maybe I could find some brown..(or unbleached and die it?) The tape comes with NO instructions, the end (haven't unrolled it yet) says Brooks on it...does that go on the bar end?... or to the center?

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Never wrapped from stem on out, always from bar ends toward the stem. Don't really know why, it's just habit I suppose.

I agree that electrical tape can look bad, but it doesn't have to. I angle-cut the end of the handlebar tape so its last wrap is perpendicular to the bar. Then I stick on one single 5-inch long piece of electrical tape 1/16" away from the edge of the hadlebar tape, joint hidden. You don't need more. Sometimes, I decorate with pinstriping tape. I can't believe how many bikes I see with half a roll of electrical tape wrapped past the edge of the handlebar tape onto the metal of the bar—now that is UGLY. :cryin:

No experience with splayed Randonneur bars and Ergo shifters, but it seems to me it's a non-issue. The shift-brake lever, the bar and your hand will all be in line, just as they would on a non-splayed bar. Plus, the splayout angle is what—4 degrees or so? Your hand will adapt after 5 minutes on the road.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, I am shocked...am I the "onliest" one that learned to wrap bars from the stem out?....I mean ....my 64 schwinn came that way.....shoot at that time I am not sure they even HAD plastic electrical tape, juts that sticky, tar based friction tape.

That was with that old, plastic bar wrap...

Dave, how tight do I stretch the Brooks tape?

· duh...
9,749 Posts
I use the angle cut too, but stretch the electrical tape tight over the end- barely. Like you I've seen too many fine high-end bikes with sloppy ugly finish jobs on these boards, makes me sad.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Instructions everywhere.

FatTireFred said:
I use the angle cut too, but stretch the electrical tape tight over the end- barely. Like you I've seen too many fine high-end bikes with sloppy ugly finish jobs on these boards, makes me sad.
Yes, and what's strange is that nowadays you can go on the internets and look at thousands of pictures of pro bikes with neat, perfectly finished taping jobs.

· Registered
638 Posts
I had the brooks tape and wrapped it from end to center. the trick I did was that after finishing each is i wrapped electrical tape super tight around the end. then i put the brooks tape around the electrical so it looks normal. The supplied tape never seems to stick to the bars good enough but itll stick to elec.

· hello
3,395 Posts
Years ago with cloth tape it was the norm to wrap from center to bar end and that's what I used to do. I've done that with a few cork tapes as well.
I don't think you can cleanly tuck the Brooks tape in the bar ends and plug them. I've got mine wrapped from bar ends to stem.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
What about going to a fabric or art supply store? Wrap from end to center, put the electrical tape on, then cover it with something that contrasts, compliments, or matches the bar tape. You could glue it on with hot glue, Shoe Goo, or rubber cement.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to show the cloth tape to my wife....she's the expert on all things cloth....(EXPERT seamstress) I think it is a standard, double width bias tape....I'll let you know what she says
Seeing as I have to switch bars too....it is going to be a longer project than it should be. I just want all the black off the bike (other than the tires)......will post pictures...

· World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
FatTireFred said:
I have always thought of bad wrap jobs as being the same as a bad manicure on a hotty. They really don't mean that much, but always bother you. Or maybe its just me. :)

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Bad wrap jobs on bikes are like warts on the Mona Lisa. Detracts. Ditto with frayed cables, etc.

Ugh.

Why go thru all the trouble to get the 'perfect' parts for yer bike (new OR old) and bungle the little stuff when a little more attention to detail would get you everything right?

M

· Banned
7,191 Posts
You could try the "rivendell finish" on your tape- take some hemp twine and wrap the ends of the tape. I've done it a couple times- it looks pretty nice.

https://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=428

Yer 64 schwinn was taped from the stem out because it was wrapped with cloth tape (or benotto plastic tape)- why not try cloth tape again?

https://bp2.blogger.com/_C1XrRVl3W8k/R73NxqKBGfI/AAAAAAAAEAA/6elkUZza-wU/s1600-h/bars.jpg

Here's a picture of my cross bike with nitto rando-nooor bars- the splay isn't too bad and it's really comfortable, though these are shimano, not campy-

· Registered
11,555 Posts
MShaw said:
Bad wrap jobs on bikes are like warts on the Mona Lisa. Detracts. Ditto with frayed cables, etc.

Ugh.
And it's really maddening when the bad wrap job and the frayed cables are on a bike which you have to let pull away because you can't hold its wheel any longer . . . :D

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I wrap my bikes from the stem out and don't have problems. I think modern tape with the sticky strip helps keep things in place and the tighter you get the wrap the better. Don't know if the Brooks tape has a sticky strip or not. Regardless, I'd wrap from the stem out and wouldn't worry about it because I like the look. Been doing it that way for over 35 years, although I have done a number of wraps the "new" way, too. However, at $60+ a pop it would be a shame to ruin the tape with curled edges. If it curls you might be able to re-wrap with the curled edges under.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
as for frayed cables, I ALWAYS solder the ends, then grind them smooth. I have thought about hemp...OH SO MANY TIMES RECENTLY...but I digress.....

Attention to detail?......uh...anyone who has seen my stuff....would never consider that to be a problem...

Before I get carried away I am ordering another set of nitto randonneurs for her and new hoods. That leads me to another question....someone had mentioned gum-rubber hoods for campy ergo (9 spd) and I sure thought I bookmarked it, but I seem to have either not or mis-filed it. Hudz are only in cool colors.

Mel, the tape does indeed have a sticky center strip, and I do intend to TRY and see how it wraps, stem out...at least SOMEONE does it the old school way.....I though for sure Wim would have done it...LOL...

for now, my poly shades varnished corks is good enough....but when I get the Brooks on and the new bars...the bike is done....I love her....she is my most prized possession...reparto corse frame...pure silver custom head badge (not sterling....PURE)

As for curled edges, I suspect rain would be my worst enemy, I try never to ride her in the rain, I have other bikes....fixed is better in the rain anyhow.

$1.50 yep the 64 schwinn was shiny plastic....I've got Randonneur on my Langster, I love them, they are by far the most comfortable bars I have. (I also have some old chromed steel but that ain't gonna happen.)

BTW I showed the cloth "end tape" to my wife, it is indeed just wide bias tape. I am heading to Beaver Dam tomorrow and will stop out at Nancy's Notions and see if they have it, that with carpet tape seems to be the solution if I go end to stem...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.