Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In typical crit fashion I ordered a Road Racer SL01 with an ETT that is at the lower end of what I would consider acceptable for myself (55cm) My other bike is a CX bike with an ETT of 55.5 (100mm stem) and it fits great. Love it on and off the road and it has a little bit of saddle to bar drop. Also had a cannondale for about a year that was 56 cm ETT top tube with a 15cm head tube. It had a 130mm stem though, and I always felt too stretched out. I also felt like I could never get the bars low enough.

SO, I ordered the (M) SL01 and am intendeing to run a 110-120mm stem.

I'm 5'10" with an inseam just shy of 33" (had to remeasure tonight, previously thought it was 32").

Will I be OK with size and will I have enough seatpost? It's strictly a racing bike as I ride my CX bike 90% of the time.

Thanks! I still have a day or so before it's shipped so I can still change my order.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You might have seen my post over in the pic thread before I edited it....
To clarify - I'm a measured 34" inseam and I am within .5cm of the limit line on the large size frame.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
NEO Dan said:
You might have seen my post over in the pic thread before I edited it....
To clarify - I'm a measured 34" inseam and I am within .5cm of the limit line on the large size frame.
Yea, I saw your pics and I went and re-measured at your advice:thumbsup:

How long is the carbon Streampost and what is the max allowable post?

Just doing calculations, if the post were 400mm I should be just fine.

The seattube on the (M) is 480mm. On my bikes the distance from the center of the BB to the top of the saddle is 29.25" (743mm). So if I subtracted 480 from the 743, this should be the distance that my saddle and post need to make up for, which is 263mm. My saddle, Fizik Antares (orange of course:thumbsup: ) has a height of 47mm, so my post would need to account for 216mm (let's just say 220mm).

Could the post plus minimum insertion account for this? The extra long 17.5 cm headtube on the large is what originally pushed me towards the medium.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Rex,
It looks like the Streampost is 250mm to the minimum insertion line, or a little more depending on how you measure due to the angle cut of the seat tube. Currently I've got 30" C-C from the BB to the seat rails.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NEO Dan said:
Hi Rex,
It looks like the Streampost is 250mm to the minimum insertion line, or a little more depending on how you measure due to the angle cut of the seat tube. Currently I've got 30" C-C from the BB to the seat rails.

Sounds like I should be golden! I found somewhere online that the post was 350mm long, and 250mm correlates to the traditional 10cm of insertion. I should have 30mm of exta wiggle room. Also, my MTB has a seat tube of 475mm long and that post is showing 225ish mm.

Dan sounds like you're on the longer side of the 34" inseam, and I'm just a bit short of 33". I'm also just shy of 5'10".

So, unless my ability to read a ruler is faulty, I think I can put my worries to rest.

·
Registered
239 Posts
88 rex said:
Dan sounds like you're on the longer side of the 34" inseam, and I'm just a bit short of 33". I'm also just shy of 5'10".
I must admit; after taking that measurement I'm thinking of taking the last 5mm spacer out from under the stem and lowering the seat a bit. :thumbsup:

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NEO Dan said:
I must admit; after taking that measurement I'm thinking of taking the last 5mm spacer out from under the stem and lowering the seat a bit. :thumbsup:
On all my bikes I get my seat height by placing my heels on the pedals and then pedaling in a manner that my hips aren't rocking. Then I just make subtle changes from there. I also use KOP to set the saddle for and aft and pretty much leave that once dialed in. Then adjust stem angles and lengths to achieve my ideal position.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well thanks for the interesting insight. You are very correct about the hips rocking(quite a bit actually) when pedaling with my heels in socks. So I dropped my seat ~2 cm and back ~1 cm, I only made to the end of the street before I came back and raised it up 1 cm and forward ~.5 cm. Then back out to ride, I still don't like it though. Apparently I have been using my calves, because I've never noticed my hips rocking noticeably. Even in this slightly lower position I feel a bit cramped as well as a definite loss of power at the bottom of the pedal stroke. There is an up side though; I've found I can be quite comfortable with the stem slammed all the way down on the headset cap. Now to get the seat up and forward again:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.