Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to contemplate a set of 650b wheels to go on my new 'adventure bike' and use with some of the large ~47mm tires like WTB's horizon/byway, Compass' switchback hill, and Terrene's elwood. I've noticed that compared to 700c options there are not many options for 650b rims. Hed makes the belgium+ in 650b but it's $$$ at $150 per rim, and Kinlin has the very cheap XD-230 but the 17mm internal width seems not ideal, and Stans makes the ZTR crest that seems ok but at only 340 grams maybe too light for a durable gravel/off road wheel.

I came across the Frequency Team from WTB which is moderately priced at $78/rim and the KOM which is more towards the high end at $98/rim. Both are sensibly only 32 hole, available in a 23 mm internal width which I think would work well with 47mm tires and weights are reasonable, if maybe a bit on the light side for the KOM. I haven't read too much about people using them or building with them so was hoping some folks here might have some impressions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I had seen the pacenti but didn't list it for some reason. That would probably work but not a huge fan of the aesthetic. Boise is not tubeless compatible so that's out, and of the velo orange options the diagonale would probably work but it's super beefy and similar aesthetics as the pacenti.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The aileron looks pretty nice, but also pretty expensive. For less than $25 more I would probably spring for the Hed at that point. Thanks for the help, I guess there are more options out there than I originally thought.

Still looking to see if anyone has feedback on the WTB rims if anyone has it.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I've been riding the Grand Boise, but we've already established that that ain't what you're looking for.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found DT swiss has a couple options, the XR 331 and XR 361. The 361 looks nice with 22.5mm internal width and offset, although maybe too light at 390 grams. Kind of expensive at $116.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I found DT swiss has a couple options, the XR 331 and XR 361. The 361 looks nice with 22.5mm internal width and offset, although maybe too light at 390 grams. Kind of expensive at $116.
When you say "too light", are you comparing them to other 650b rims or to 700c rims. A 650b rim is always going to be lighter than its 700c counterpart so you need to compare apples to apples, 650b t0 650b and 700c to 700c. Your 650b XR361 is 30grms lighter in 650b than it is in 700c because of its smaller diameter.
Also, being a rim for disc brake use they have a thinner sidewall as they won't be seeing brake wear.

This is what I like about the 650b, it allows me to run a larger tire, in my case 42mm, without a big weight penalty. They spin up relatively quick for their tire size also, and are also fast handling and nimble because with the 42mm tires their diameter isn't much different than a 700c with 25mm tires.

edit...Sorry, the weight difference between the two XR361's is only 20 grms. Still significant tho.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you say "too light", are you comparing them to other 650b rims or to 700c rims. A 650b rim is always going to be lighter than its 700c counterpart so you need to compare apples to apples, 650b t0 650b and 700c to 700c. Your 650b XR361 is 30grms lighter in 650b than it is in 700c because of its smaller diameter.
Also, being a rim for disc brake use they have a thinner sidewall as they won't be seeing brake wear.

This is what I like about the 650b, it allows me to run a larger tire, in my case 42mm, without a big weight penalty. They spin up relatively quick for their tire size also, and are also fast handling and nimble because with the 42mm tires their diameter isn't much different than a 700c with 25mm tires.
Yeah that's a fair point, I'm used to thinking about rim brake 700c rims where ~450 grams is a light rim. I guess I need to recalibrate my weight expectations for disc 650b.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
As an aside, what tires are you using, and how do you like the rim-tire combination?
Compass, Baby Shoe Pass. Easy to mount and trouble and problem free. I've been happy with the interface.

As another aside, in just shy of 11,000 miles on the 5 tires that the bike has seen I have only had one flat. From less than 500 miles on the most recently mounted tire to just shy of 8000 miles on a tire that I wanted to see how far I could push. I retired that one when I got to the cord, 4000 on the rear and the rest on the front. The one flat happened on a tire that had 6000 miles, and I retired that one when I got home.

I typically run from 45 to 50 psi.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that's a good looking rim and very affordable. Do you plan to offer it with a cheaper hub like your November disc hub?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts