Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got a pair of WTB Pedals with the lube port... thing. But since there is no manual, and I can't find anything online, I haven't been able to get the lube into the port. It seems that you push the little ball down to get the oil in, but for some reason the oil doesn't want to go in.

1. What is the proper lube for pedals? WD40?
2. Am I supposed to be using some sort of needle where I can push the ball down and pump lube at the same time?

That's all. Cheers!

love,
jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Grease gun

Homoerectus said:
So i just got a pair of WTB Pedals with the lube port... thing. But since there is no manual, and I can't find anything online, I haven't been able to get the lube into the port. It seems that you push the little ball down to get the oil in, but for some reason the oil doesn't want to go in.

1. What is the proper lube for pedals? WD40?
NO!! WD-40 has few if any applications on a bike. Bearings need grease, not oil.

Homoerectus said:
2. Am I supposed to be using some sort of needle where I can push the ball down and pump lube at the same time?
I'm pretty sure any needle-point grease gun will work such as Speedplay's or any with marine-grade grease. The typical method is to inject grease into the pedals so that the old, dirty grease oozes out through the seals. When clean grease comes out, you're done. It's a little messy, but pretty quick and easy. I haven't done WTB pedals myself, so just speculating; shouldn't be any more complicated than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...

Well, it sounds like I might have toride on down to the bike shop to see what they say. I don't have a grease gun at the moment and want to get these lubed up before I ride too much more.

Thanks for the info AG.

love,
jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,524 Posts
Or the hardware store

Homoerectus said:
Well, it sounds like I might have toride on down to the bike shop to see what they say.
You probably can get a needle point grease gun at the bike shop, or for 1/3 the price at any decent hardware store. It's grease you want, not oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
You probably can get a needle point grease gun at the bike shop, or for 1/3 the price at any decent hardware store. It's grease you want, not oil.
yeah, I recently got the pedro's gun n' lube from nashbar (since it'll fit in my bike tool box easier and shouldn't be near as messy)...
But I am still using a mini-grease gun w/ needle point (cost an extra couple bucks over the regular sized zerk the guns come with) & marine grease.
I've been using this combo for many years in WTB/Suntour GreaseGuard headsets, pedals & BB's.

If you regularly grease bearing buddies on a boat trailer or something similar, get the big grease gun, as the grease isn't as expensive... or get a big tub of grease and refill the grease tubes.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top