Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new chain. It's a sram 9 speed for a shimano drivetrain :)yikes: my bike asplode?!). Anyway, it's covered in this crazy grease/glue stuff. Am I supposed to clean this off or just put lube on over it? Srry maybe this is fer teh beginners forum thing:confused: .

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
depends on how clean you normally keep your drivetrain. if you're into having it spotless all the time, clean off the stuff that's on it, rinse it, dry it and apply your lube. if you don't care (like most people), apply the lube right over it.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What you see is grease that is part of the manufacturing process. If it bothers you, wipe it off with a shop towel and apply your normal lube. If not, ride a while then start the clean/lube process. I usually wipe a new chain before installing, then apply chain lube before the first ride.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
That schitt (has a name, but I don't recall it right now -- so it's "schitt" for now) is there to prevent the chain from rusting while it's on the shelf for (weeks/months??) before it's sold.

You'll get lots of different opinions, but IMO, it's not going to hurt anything BUT.... it is not really a lube, either. Lube over it, you'll be OK. If you're concerned that the tacky nature of the stuff might attract dirt, wash it off, then lube.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i wipe it down and lube it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It is a heavy, and sticky, oil that is deep penetrating. You can wipe it off, but DO NOT soak the chain. Personally I find chains last longer and run quieter when the stuff is left on. I just lube over it and wipe off the excess. Zinn says the same thing in an article on Velonews.com.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I axed this question when i got my bike.
Sheldon brown says, leave it on.
Got different opinions form the forum.
To me, it seemed like White lightening.
Gunk that would collect a lot of grit.
So I cleaned it off with a degreaser and used my normal chain lube.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
It's called "Gleitmo". Some say leave it on, some say take it off. I was told to wipe off the excess but leave the majority of it on. Also, SRAM tells you in the instructions that came with your chain to leave it on.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
As others have said, it's a grease used to protect the chain from rusting prior to retail sale. Commonly referred to as cosmoline. Personally I wipe it off and lube with my lube of choice. As you've noticed, it's very sticky and will collect dirt. It won't likely hurt to leave it on but I think a chain works better when it's clean and lubed and doesn't have a lot of dirt clinging to it. I always look at it this way. Is cosmoline something you would lube your chain with regularly? I've never had anyone answer "yes" to this question. If it's something you wouldn't use yourself why leave it on? It only takes a few minutes at most to take it off and lube the chain and it makes me feel better knowing I'm not attracting a lot of dirt.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
As others have said, it's a grease used to protect the chain from rusting prior to retail sale. Commonly referred to as cosmoline. Personally I wipe it off and lube with my lube of choice. As you've noticed, it's very sticky and will collect dirt. It won't likely hurt to leave it on but I think a chain works better when it's clean and lubed and doesn't have a lot of dirt clinging to it. I always look at it this way. Is cosmoline something you would lube your chain with regularly? I've never had anyone answer "yes" to this question. If it's something you wouldn't use yourself why leave it on? It only takes a few minutes at most to take it off and lube the chain and it makes me feel better knowing I'm not attracting a lot of dirt.
It is not cosmoline. I have a few old Comblock rifles that came coated in cosmiline and Gleitmo is different. SRAM says leave it on the chain to extend chain life.

Cut really, chainlube questions are like SRAM/Shimano/Campy questions.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's Cosmoline

Used to protect metal from corrosion for long periods of time. Commonly used on firearms.

From: www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/cosmoline/pdf/cosmoline.pdf

"Cosmoline: A yellowish or light-amber colored ointment like mass, having a slight
fluorescence, petroleum like odor and taste (do not taste it please). Similar to Vaseline in properties, appearance, and thickness. It is the residue obtained in the distillation of
petroleum oils and then purified. Cosmoline is a homogenous mixture of oily and waxy
long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It can range in color from white to yellow and differ
from one another in consistency and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113°-125° F
and has a flashpoint of 365° F."

The .pdf also gives rremoval tips.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmmmm.... I have absolutely no doubt that rifles were, and maybe still are shipped in cosmoline (have actually seen vintage still in it, lots of it at that) but I'm not certain that chains are shipped in it.

Maybe they were

Maybe some still are

Maybe manufacturers use both dependent on model, manuf, use, etc...

Perhaps "Gleitmo" IS cosmoline??? I've got to look this up now.

My theory- same as most- wipe off the outside, leave it on the inside.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OK, not the same stuff. There seems to be many Gleitmo's, one of which is used by SRAM, shipped on their chains, stock. It's a fascinating search. Have fun.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Doesn't matter what it really is, it's "commonly" referred to as cosmoline. And yes, many chains did come packed in real cosmoline. Kinda like facial tissue is referred to as Kleenex.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
This is liekly the stuff: http://www.fuchs-lubritech.com/cms/spip.php?page=produkt&id_rubrique=23&id_produkt=2993

gleitmo 582
Beige chain lubricant
Description
gleitmo 582 is a white, adhesive semi-synthetic grease with solid lubricants, liquefied with a solvent for easy penetration into the cavities of the chain.

gleitmo 582 is in liquid form when applied, but becomes a stringy, adhesive grease after gradual evaporation of the solvent which can neither be thrown off nor washed away by water. gleitmo 582 is also largely resistant to acids and lyes and provides reliable protection against corrosion.

Fields of application
Slow-speed, high-speed and power-transmitting chains of all types, also where resistance to water and steam as well as extensive persistence to acids and lyes is necessary.

Method of application
If possible, clean the chain with a solvent. Methods of applying gleitmo 582: with spray can (PI-Nr.: 6685), oil can, brush, spray gun or by immersion of the chain.

Lubricate running chains on the inner side in the relieved area because the lubricant can penetrate more easily here.

After lubrication, the solvent should be able to evaporate in approx. 30 minutes; this must be taken into account when determining the time of lubrication.

Features
temperature range: -15 / +120 °C
good spreading capability
good wetting capacity
excellent adhesion power
protects against corrosion and wear
high lubrication effectiveness
resistant to water and steam and largely resistant to acids and lyes

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
cosmiline/Gleitmo cat fight: a new RBR tradition

Shimano/Campy, steel/carbon... blah, blah, blah... We need a recurring 3-way cat fight over whether the gunk on new chains is cosmiline or Gleitmo....

Which is it?

Pile on!!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
SRAM uses gleitmo according to a SRAM friend.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I'll pile on you if you're not careful! :D

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
The official word from the SRAM travelling service rep was that it was Gleitmo and to leave it on and when it appears like it's gone, to lube over the top of what's left with your lube of choice.

The new SRAM chains I fit to bikes of others plus my own, come back to me as dry as a bone and clean after a race. I then lube with Homebrew.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts