Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over and over again, my wet rides end as soon as I use the brakes because I have metal shards/shaving from the rim going everywhere. This is the the billionth time I've have to do "extensive" cleaning on my rim braking surface (to my surprise there still is some) and pads.

There has to be something I'm overlooking in this equation, because if this was a widespread/typical happening, someone would've started some chewed-up rim recycling center. :mad:

So what could it be?
-I'm running salmon pads.
-Clean them and the braking surface after rides regardless of how smooth the braking was.
-Toe-in is seemingly appropriate (front is 1mm inward)
-Pads aren't touching tires, etc.
-:confused:

Only thing I can conclude is that it's some "foreign substance" where I ride. Any other measures I can take for wet weather?

·
Registered
154 Posts
You could try different pads and see if that helps. Maybe your pads are too close to the top of the rim where the wheel seats? Are the rims old? Are there any grooves in your rims, or pads?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i know someone who experience the same problem. his conclusion was when the wheel is wet it is more likely to throw up and pick up grit, dirt and sand, that combined with longer stopping distances really did a number on his rim and pads. it gets progressively worse once the shards are in the pads. you'd have to replace the pads and clean the braking surface.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alexp247365 said:
You could try different pads and see if that helps. Maybe your pads are too close to the top of the rim where the wheel seats? Are the rims old? Are there any grooves in your rims, or pads?
Rims are from 2006. That's definitely some age considering the bike's a daily rider. On top of that, I ruined a new front wheel in July in the same scenario. Pad placement is in the middle of the rim surface.

Said 2006 rim is able to last with cleaning after rides. The original machining grooves are there with a bit of rough specks.

So far I've used Shimano, Jagwire, and Kool-Stop (Salmon) pads. The Kool-Stops definitely fair better.

I'm just appalled at how the braking surface deteriorates. I know braking in the rain can't be expected to sound pleasant but Jesus...

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
little bits of debris from the road ending up on the rim and then the pad is grinding it in?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I vote for this answer. When I ride in the rain my rims always need severe cleaning following the ride and I'm riding the same routes I ride just fine in dry weather. It's just what you are picking up off the road. Though I will say if I go to clean my rims immediately following a ride, it's usually just a wipe down with a paper towel.
tomk96 said:
little bits of debris from the road ending up on the rim and then the pad is grinding it in?

·
Registered
420 Posts
What kind of rims are these? Its not unusual to get some imbedded metal in brake pads from use, but what you describe seems like you are digging chunks out of the rim surface on a regular basis. Maybe its time for a different set of rims?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Have you tried lightly sanding your rims?

·
Get off my lawn
502 Posts
I've used scotchbrite (lighty) on the rim surface W/ salmon pads and found it worked well for dry riding but haven't a clue in the wet.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Rim (wheel) in question is a 2006 Mavic Aksium. Bomb-proof through the years and 2 owners, rolling-wise.

I'm aware of sanding but am uneasy at the idea of eating at the rim even more regardless of how light it (the sanding) is. Current cleaning method is a sponge + Fast Orange followed by soap+water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts