1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
“Am I the only one around here who gives a sh1t about the rules?”

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
My guess is that they are eliminating the need for a saddle bag. And if it doubles as a fairing, all the better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
“Am I the only one around here who gives a sh1t about the rules?”

I think I read in some other post that they eliminated some rule about 6" maximum dimension for posts or some such. In short, no more rules. So the bike makers can have at it. It would be real easy to hide an electric motor in one of those frames.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Seems for trying to be so 'areo" that they sure have a large surface area.
Are they trying to take off?

One may be able to hide a motor in there, but you will not be able to use it. They are observing with thermal energy equipment.

Next up, stealth treatment for high speed thermal footprint reduction..

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Just catching back up to the early 90's, when the aero war and radical frame design started to take off. By the late 90's they set the rule about rear triangle bike design and ended radical frame designs. Until you've ridden one you just don't know what you've been missing. I still have 2 Zipp2001 in my stable and they are still going strong.
I checked out all the new designs revealed at The Kona Ironman World Championship last weekend and their are some really killer machines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6VGOGJ0QRE

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
They're designed for long course triathlon. Lots of of on the bike storage for flat kits and nutrition. That's all.

They didn't do well at Kona. They look hideous. They have disc brakes. They cost $15,000. I see limited sales success, but who knows.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Cervelo was at my LBS on the weekend so I had to check it out in person. Heavy and to me at least odd.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Technology can come back to bite you, too. Just heard about a local triathlete who was all set to try to qualify for Kona at the Louisville Ironman. When she got on her bike, she found that the Di2 shifter system had shorted out and wouldn't shift. A mechanic tried for 40 minutes to fix it (clock running, of course), but she ended up doing the very hilly bike course stuck in a single gear! Needless to say, her chance to qualify was long gone.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Technology can come back to bite you, too. Just heard about a local triathlete who was all set to try to qualify for Kona at the Louisville Ironman. When she got on her bike, she found that the Di2 shifter system had shorted out and wouldn't shift. A mechanic tried for 40 minutes to fix it (clock running, of course), but she ended up doing the very hilly bike course stuck in a single gear! Needless to say, her chance to qualify was long gone.
Get etap and no wires to short out. LOL

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Very unlikely to be an actual short out. More likely cables not fully plugged in and pulled slightly out due to bar taping too little cable slack.

·
Registered
249 Posts
seems clear the storage options are just secondary to the aero design. once you have a shape like that you might as well get some use from all that interior space.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
seems clear the storage options are just secondary to the aero design. once you have a shape like that you might as well get some use from all that interior space.
Pretty sure it was incorporating the storage into the bike, not creating ridiculous fairings and then putting in storage.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
What's the weight on these? The extra fairings look like they'd a little too much weight.

I don't get why disc brakes would be needed on these bikes. It's not like most TT or tri guys are going down a mountain.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,149 Posts
That Diamondback looks sweet. I hope they make a Track version.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts