Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Master of flip comments
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OLN is "broadcasting" the Giro. Only on Sundays. If you want to watch the daily stages on your COMPUTER, you have to pay $20.

I know, I know, if it wasn't for OLN we would have probably nothing, but jeez.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Freedom of choice. Right?

gregario said:
OLN is "broadcasting" the Giro. Only on Sundays. If you want to watch the daily stages on your COMPUTER, you have to pay $20.

Don't pay for it. That takes out the complaining about having to pay for it. I like reading it anyway, that way I can get all of the scoop while at work for each stage. Set up the cyclingnews.com coverage, and check back on it every 20 minutes or so. Sure, no fancy "moving" pictures, but I think they do a pretty good blow by blow write up.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
gregario said:

Let's see:

Very small American audience.

Very few willing to pay much to sponsor it with such a small audience.

America is lucky to get free Sunday coverage.

We stand to lose even the Sunday coverage if the producers can't make money broadcasting it.

$20 is cheap to have daily coverage.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've been racing since 1989. I remember having to wait weeks to find out who won Liege unless the results were in the Washington Post (about 25% of the time, they'd put results from WC races in the back). Getting to watch anything but the Tour and maybe Roubaix was out of the question.

I'm happy to shell out 20 bucks, that's less than $1 per stage. I'm guessing this is the future of bike racing coverage in the US. If it means we get to watch the races, I'm all for paying. Same for cycling.tv. I'd be happy to give them $100 a year if they'd cover road and cross, I'd probably pay $150 a year if we could download the races.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
gregario said:

The worst part about it is that they will probably NOT web-cast it on the weekends so they don't cut into their TV audiences. - TF

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Did the $5 deal last year- and liked it. Will happily pay the $20 this year- do we get commentary for that much?

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
The worst part about it is that they will probably NOT web-cast it on the weekends so they don't cut into their TV audiences. - TF
It's going to be on cycling.tv live and with commentary this year. I'm sure it will be archived for later viewing. $20 for 21 stages of entertainment is a pittance. I'd pay a dollar a stage anytime.

BIg props to the team at cyling.tv. Great job Simon. Another step forward!

·
Master of flip comments
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhhkay.

mquetel said:
It's a great deal... subscribed last year, will do it again this year.
I guess I stand corrected. My point was however is that OLN used to broadcast every stage a couple of times a day a couple years ago. Now we're expected to pay to watch it on our computer and pay for the privilege. This is in addition to the high cable rates everyone is paying. It's just another $20 on top of the cable fee I'm already paying. I don't plan on doing it however and will watch the weekend coverage and follow the more decisive stages on cyclingnews.com.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cheaper then Cable

Cheaper then Expanded or Digital Cable for a month. Plus a lot less commericals, if any. As long as my neighbor doesn't encrypt his Broadband Wireless Internet, I'm set.
:D It's going to be hard to get ready for work with out all the commericals though.
I've been watching the Beligum Semi-Classics the last month on Cycling.tv . Good ****!

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
gregario said:

I'll pay to watch the Giro, commercial free. What I won't do is watch the Sunday "coverage" on OLN.

·
Registered
838 Posts
But..but...I don't WANT to watch it on my computer. People could figure out I'm not working if I'm actually screaming at the computer screen. And my home machine is dial-up. Why can't they make it pay per view if they have to charge us?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am willing to pay but I just want to know if it will be possible to view the coverage when the race is complete as I am not able to watch it live. Can anyone help with this please?
L

·
In-House Counsel
579 Posts
Lycraboy said:
I am willing to pay but I just want to know if it will be possible to view the coverage when the race is complete as I am not able to watch it live. Can anyone help with this please?
L
Most likely. After every race there's long highlights of the stage/race that is typically in 2 parts. And not highlights like OLN...all racing.

Also, they will probably re-run it after the race is over. They are doing that for PR today. Since they have that OLN channel, they might just show the thing in its entirety for whenever you want.

Either way you'll be able to watch it They do a good job of making sure you can see the races you paid your money for - either through replays of the race or race highlight shows.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
gregario said:

Do the math, thats less than $1 a day, and a bargain!

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's a decent chunk, but they did throw in Tirreno-Adriatico and Milan-San Remo in case you missed them on Cylism Sundays, and according to other posters, we get commentary as well, which is nice.

If you like watching cycling coverage, definitely sign up. If there is continued interest in this type of coverage, they'll continue to provide it. Supply and demand, it's as easy as that.

BTW, is anyone signed up for premium coverage on cycling.tv 19.99 pounds? What does that work out to in USD$? Is it worth it? Which extra races do you get over the free coverage? I've registered and have been watching the free stuff, is it worth the 20 pounds extra to advance the cause?

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
ziggurat22 said:
It's a decent chunk, but they did throw in Tirreno-Adriatico and Milan-San Remo in case you missed them on Cylism Sundays, and according to other posters, we get commentary as well, which is nice.

If you like watching cycling coverage, definitely sign up. If there is continued interest in this type of coverage, they'll continue to provide it. Supply and demand, it's as easy as that.

BTW, is anyone signed up for premium coverage on cycling.tv 19.99 pounds? What does that work out to in USD$? Is it worth it? Which extra races do you get over the free coverage? I've registered and have been watching the free stuff, is it worth the 20 pounds extra to advance the cause?
It's a little less than $40 USD. They'll convert it for you when you go thru Paypal.

They'll tell you on the site but you'll get L-B-L, Tour de Suisse, Dauphine Libere and I think they'll have the World championships. They've been adding content like the P-R just recently. They also have behind the scenes content like team presentations and interviews. The premium site has 4 servers with higher data transfer rates as well.

I think they have been showing steady improvement over the last 2-3 years and I imagine it will get better and better. P-R was a huge coup and w/ OLN's deep pockets a whole mess of new possiblitities are opening up. I think it's worth supporting.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Lycraboy said:
L
Last year, the live coverage of each stage was archived and could be watched anytime up to some days after the final stage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts