Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hot and sunny and I wanted to swim with the kids today at the public pool. Called to see how late they were open today. Get a recording, closed for the season. WTF? It's not even Labor Day weekend yet.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
The city ones here closed a couple of weeks ago, once school started. I think it's also due to budgeting.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
it is REALLY hot today....low 90's here....

I just washed the car and it wasn't even dirty....it is so hot that even the dog wanted to come in!

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I'm at my cousin's in Houston and her pool went to weekend only hours last week. And then it's only open for a few more weeks. Lame. Growing up in Ohio, the city pools stayed open every day until Labor Day weekend.

·
It's complexicated
1,418 Posts
Are all the lifeguards high school kids? That could explain it. That's why our pool closed on labor day when I was a kid, even if it was hot enough to keep swimming well into September.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
went skinny dipping w/ some friends saturday, pool was 92 degrees.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
I never understood the whole "open memorial day, closed labor day" concept of pools. They could make a lot more money if they opened earlier and closed later, especially in St Louis where it's still in the 90s.
Do public pools generally make money? I would guess they lose money.

Our local YMCA's outdoor pool is open year-round. It's heated so people swim in it even when it's literally freezing outside. It sucks for the lifeguards! Of course, the YMCA is very expensive and already open for all their other services like the indoor pools, weight room, exercise classes, etc.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Nate, I know our school has a pool that loses money every year and always has (indoors, opened year round to the public) ......it is considered an acceptable loss given that in a state where there is SO much water, every kid that goes through the district knows how to swim.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to work as a lifeguard in the summer and we always closed mid August. By that point in the summer nobody was coming to the beach unless it was crazy hot and humid. Most days would see less than 50 people vs 250 plus in July. While it may be hot enough today, there might no0t be enough people going to justify keeping it open later than this.

Plus, most of the lifeguards I worked with were college students and they are all heading back to school now.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
pretty sure our town pool loses money. seem like almost all the life guards are HS students too.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Our town pool is actually self sustaining. The annual membership dues exceed the costs of operation. That being said, if they cut the season short by a couple of weeks, they'd make more money not less.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I used to be on the Park and Recreation Board in Texas. The pools closed when school started. I asked why. The answer is that almost no one uses the pool after school starts. The city keep the pools open later one year and only a few people showed up.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
DLMKA said:
It's hot and sunny and I wanted to swim with the kids today at the public pool. Called to see how late they were open today. Get a recording, closed for the season. WTF? It's not even Labor Day weekend yet.
In know a little bit about this...I am on the board of directors for our neighborhood pool.

Basically, it comes down to staff and money. It is tough to get guards from among the local kids after August because of school sports. Most tryouts and practices around here start in August. College kids start shipping out the end of the month. By September 1, you often don't have enough guards to run a full schedule.

We thought about hiring a pool company who would provide guards, but they wouldn't run the pool past Labor Day either. They had similar issues - they bring kids over from Eastern Europe to work as guards, and they have to return for school as well. Plus they charge more if you keep it open into September. We figure that it isn't worth it - the pool is dead in August, because people go out of town.

One of the reasons that we didn't go with a pool company is that we wanted to give the opportunity to the local kids (and to have a guard staff that we could be fairly sure spoke English). I'd also heard horror stories about the virtual serfdom that these kids endure for a summer job in the USA, and the shadyness of some of the pool companies in our area. Instead, we hire guards from among the local kids. This year, we had the continuation of a rather bad trend - kids don't like to work in the summer, and they are rotten employees. It used to be that you would hire ten or so full time guards, have a couple of part time kids who would act as substitutes, and you were good to go. You hired the kids with the reasonable expectation that they would work all summer and show up when scheduled.

That doesn't happen in 2010. Kids are so...scheduled...and holding down a job is a much lower priority to them than, say, going to the beach on the spur of the moment or a conflict with soccer/lacrosse/baseball. We've had to hire 25 or so guards this summer just so we have enough to plug in when the last minute absentee crap starts. We've even instituted an incentive to get kids to want to work; we pay them by the hour for the number of hours that they work, and we give them a raise if they work x number of hours during the year. This year, no one is getting a raise, to scramble to get kids to come to work.

I hate to say it, but those Eastern European kids are starting to look better and better...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
DLMKA said:
Most of ours closed a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
That doesn't happen in 2010. Kids are so...scheduled...and holding down a job is a much lower priority to them than, say, going to the beach on the spur of the moment or a conflict with soccer/lacrosse/baseball. We've had to hire 25 or so guards this summer just so we have enough to plug in when the last minute absentee crap starts. We've even instituted an incentive to get kids to want to work; we pay them by the hour for the number of hours that they work, and we give them a raise if they work x number of hours during the year. This year, no one is getting a raise, to scramble to get kids to come to work.

I hate to say it, but those Eastern European kids are starting to look better and better...
Did you yell at the kids and tell them to get off your lawn?

Most kids have always been crappy employees. There are usually one or two that you can count on, but it doesn't sound like this is even the case anymore.

BITD, the rule was, either get someone to cover your shift or you are fired. I would think life guarding would be somewhat of a homogeneous skill, so I would think it would be easier for kids to find there own replacement from the pool staff.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
q_and_a said:
Most kids have always been crappy employees. There are usually one or two that you can count on, but it doesn't sound like this is even the case anymore.
The big problem is that a lot of the parents woudn't bat an eye if Junior got canned from his lifeguarding job because of a sports or vacation conflict. It is easy to see where the attitude comes from. My parents would have killed me if I bailed on an advance commitment to an employer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts