Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently purchased an Ultegra 10sp RD-6600...rear derailluer. It was working fine untill today when it broke. The cage broke off with out any warning. I have a 12-25 cassett which the short cage derailluer is compatible with, and everything was tuned properly. and ontop of the really sweet 90$ piece of metal i now own instead of a derailluer, it bent one of the spokes on my new wheelset. Does any one have a suggestion on what i should do to get compensation for this? I'm deffinantly sending a letter to shimano, and i'm guessing its about time i try out campy.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
I am a Campy guy, but it doesn't sound like the cage would JUST BREAK while riding along. It seems more like overshifting the derailleur into the wheel. If that's the case, then it could either be bad adjustment of the derailleur (that's when you miss the fred-looking plastic plate around the cassette), or misalignment of the frame/derailleur hanger.

Good luck with the warranty request.

· uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
so there i was, JRA...

don't mean to come off sounding like an ass, but that looks like the result of an improperly adjusted overtravel screw, nothing more. it doesn't take much to put your rear mech into the spokes, and what i'm seeing is totally consistent with that scenario.

one of the downsides of index shifting, unfortunately. you can set up your index points perfectly, and everything shifts perfectly, until you squeeze the lever a bit too far and go past the index point, and past the point the overtravel screw should have been set at, and into the spokes and "snap".

sorry, but cages just don't fail like that out of the blue...

don't blame it on shimano, consider it a not so expensive lesson learned on the finer points of setting up a bike.

-eric

btw: your wheel should be fine. i've ridden wheels with spokes tweaked much worse than that for years, and usually it was one of my mountain bikes.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Bent hanger?

sdnomis88 said:
I adjusted the shifter according to shimano's instructions, so i don't think thats it. the only other thing i can think of is that the chain was too small...maybe? i'm not sure.
If the frame's derailleur hanger is bent inward (angled toward the spokes), then a derailleur with correctly set limit stops can still go into the spokes. I always check hanger alignment before I adjust a rear derailleur.

· Registered
984 Posts
I had a problem like that when the rear wheel spokes were too loose. The rear wheel shifted a couple of millimeters into the rear derailleur when I was climbing a steep hill out of the saddle. The result was a bent RD, RD hanger, and spokes.

As you can see in my avitar, I don't have that problem any more. The Nimble Crosswind wheels may be a little soft laterally but they sure don't move enough to get within 10mm of the RD.

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
sdnomis88 said:
So i recently purchased an Ultegra 10sp RD-6600...rear derailluer. It was working fine untill today when it broke. The cage broke off with out any warning. I have a 12-25 cassett which the short cage derailluer is compatible with, and everything was tuned properly. and ontop of the really sweet 90$ piece of metal i now own instead of a derailluer, it bent one of the spokes on my new wheelset. Does any one have a suggestion on what i should do to get compensation for this? I'm deffinantly sending a letter to shimano, and i'm guessing its about time i try out campy.

Bring it back to the shop and blame the mech that put it together.

· Registered
413 Posts
sdnomis88 said:
I adjusted the shifter according to shimano's instructions, so i don't think thats it. the only other thing i can think of is that the chain was too small...maybe? i'm not sure.
If your chain was too short you would have had an even more expensive lesson. A worst case scenario with a chain too short would be the RD tearing away from the drop out with the RD crashing into the rear wheel. This usually results with a wrecked frame and a wicked face slam. No, I'd have to agree with what most others have already stated, that is you didn't get the limit screws adjusted correctly.

· Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
This isn't the first time I've seen a thread devoted to a newest-generation Ultegra rear derailleur that bit the dust. Most of them have died due to a faulty Shimano chain, but some have simply just broke. There's been a few of those threads on the Bikeforums.net board.

· Life In the big ring
244 Posts
Mark McM said:
If the frame's derailleur hanger is bent inward (angled toward the spokes), then a derailleur with correctly set limit stops can still go into the spokes. I always check hanger alignment before I adjust a rear derailleur.
If your hanger is bent BEFORE you install the derailleur, you will still set the limits so that the chain does not shift into the spokes/ off the cog. It will shift like crap, but there is nothing different as far setting the limit is concerned.

· Life In the big ring
244 Posts
supercorsa said:
one of the downsides of index shifting, unfortunately. you can set up your index points perfectly, and everything shifts perfectly, until you squeeze the lever a bit too far and go past the index point, and past the point the overtravel screw should have been set at, and into the spokes and "snap".

QUOTE]

Eric, you're not suggesting that it is uneccesary to set limit screws with friction shifters, are you?:confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.