Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry…

…but as "uncomfortable" it is to see the pain this dope stain is causing our sport at the moment, you gotta admit it hasn't been this interstingly unpredictable in SO many ways for quite some time. Been a long time that the days leading up to the Tour have had more to talk about than who was going to come in second to Armstrong.

What a way to start the "post-Lance" Tour era.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pez

They have a reporter in the press rooom

ASO says NO to Astana-Wurth
12:25 PM PST - Just in - the ASO has ruled Astana-Wurth OUT of Le Tour! Whoa - snubbing the CAS - that takes some major cajones if you ask us... but in true ASO tradition, no one is going to tell 'em who's on the guest list for this party. Sorry, but details on the why's for this one are still in translation, but tune in later for more.

Bottom of the page
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4128

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if they had a translation issue. I read on Eurosport that ASO had decided to let them in the opening ceramony but they were still undecided about letting them in the race? am I reading that right?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Didn't they previously release a statement to the press that it was all up to the CAS now?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
In out in out in out in out. LOL

surftel said:
They are out again, ASO said they didnt care what CAS says they are not riding
I'm hoping the race is gonna be at least half as entertaining as the events leading up to the race.

Come on guys; pro sports are entertainment. This is getting to the level of roller derby. Are we going to root for the riders that have the same blood types as we do?

GO O- GO!

I love it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
From www.letour.fr

I found this on theFrench version of the official Toru de France website. I used Gogle to translate (because my French language skills are worse than my Italian.

"Les organisateurs du Tour de France prennent acte du rejet, par le Tribunal Arbitral du Sport, de leur demande d’exclusion de l’équipe de M. Manolo Saiz, nommée depuis peu Astana-Würth, du Tour de France 2006.
Le TAS a pourtant reconnu que le Tour de France a « pris ses responsabilités », et qu’il a souhaité préserver son épreuve et « défendre les intérêts du sport cycliste en général ».
Les organisateurs du Tour de France regrettent que le TAS ait retenu « l’absence d’information officielle » et le fait que « il y a actuellement plus d’incertitude que de faits établis concrètement », alors que, selon ses propres termes, « de nombreux éléments troublants ont été révélés sur cette équipe ».
Pour autant, face au fléau du dopage, la détermination du Tour de France reste intacte."

The organizers of the Tour de France take note of the rejection, by the Tribunal Arbitral du Sport, of their request for exclusion of the team of Mr. Manolo Saiz, named recently Astana-Würth, of the Tour de France 2006. The TAS however recognized that the Tour de France “took its responsibilities”, and that it wished to preserve its test and “to defend the interests of the sport cyclist in general”. The organizers of the Tour de France consider it regrettable that the TAS retained “the absence of official information” and the fact that “there is currently more uncertainty than concretely established facts”, whereas, according to its own terms, “of many disconcerting elements were revealed on this team”. For as much, vis-a-vis the plague of doping, the determination of the Tour de France remains intact.

According to the rules of the tour, the organizers of the tour get to say who participates. They can invite, therefore they can uninvite. Sorry Wurth, you are now uninvited to this party.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pokin' Joe said:
I found this on theFrench version of the official Toru de France website. I used Gogle to translate (because my French language skills are worse than my Italian.

"Les organisateurs du Tour de France prennent acte du rejet, par le Tribunal Arbitral du Sport, de leur demande d’exclusion de l’équipe de M. Manolo Saiz, nommée depuis peu Astana-Würth, du Tour de France 2006.
Le TAS a pourtant reconnu que le Tour de France a « pris ses responsabilités », et qu’il a souhaité préserver son épreuve et « défendre les intérêts du sport cycliste en général ».
Les organisateurs du Tour de France regrettent que le TAS ait retenu « l’absence d’information officielle » et le fait que « il y a actuellement plus d’incertitude que de faits établis concrètement », alors que, selon ses propres termes, « de nombreux éléments troublants ont été révélés sur cette équipe ».
Pour autant, face au fléau du dopage, la détermination du Tour de France reste intacte."

The organizers of the Tour de France take note of the rejection, by the Tribunal Arbitral du Sport, of their request for exclusion of the team of Mr. Manolo Saiz, named recently Astana-Würth, of the Tour de France 2006. The TAS however recognized that the Tour de France “took its responsibilities”, and that it wished to preserve its test and “to defend the interests of the sport cyclist in general”. The organizers of the Tour de France consider it regrettable that the TAS retained “the absence of official information” and the fact that “there is currently more uncertainty than concretely established facts”, whereas, according to its own terms, “of many disconcerting elements were revealed on this team”. For as much, vis-a-vis the plague of doping, the determination of the Tour de France remains intact.
QUOTE]

That says nothing at all! "La détermination du tour reste intacte" only means that they are determinated to ban any riders linked to the affair! Not that Wurth is out.

Or someone should explain to me...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The Court of Arbitration for Sport's decision to allow Astaná-Würth to race in the Tour has been rejected by organisers ASO, who issued a statement to that effect late Thursday. ASO pointed out that "CAS nevertheless recognised that the Tour de France has to 'take its responsibilities' and that it wished to preserve its race and 'to defend the interests of the sport of cycling'.
"The organisers of the Tour de France regret CAS claimed "the absence of official information" and the fact that "there is currently more uncertainty than facts established concretely" while, according to its own terms, 'many disturbing elements were revealed on this team.' For all that, facing the blight of doping, the determination of the Tour de France remains intact."
Franc info reported on Friday morning that ASO also received the official Operacion Puerto report last night, and have been studying it. "We will take the responsibility if the teams don't take responsibility themselves," said race boss Jean-Marie Leblanc, who pointed out that the teams are bound to the code of ethics.

"The determination of the Tour de France remains intact" means they stand by their decision and Astana-Wurth are out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Franc info (...) is another paragraph and is not linked to the CAS decision. "We will take responsibility if the teams (...)"

I could be mistaking but to me this communique from ASO sounds like they have taken note but haven't decided yet. They would have said so more precisely if it had been the case.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
greenasgrass said:
"Franc info (...) is another paragraph and is not linked to the CAS decision. "We will take responsibility if the teams (...)"

I could be mistaking but to me this communique from ASO sounds like they have taken note but haven't decided yet. They would have said so more precisely if it had been the case.
More like "if the teams don't act, we'll do it for them." Hence T-Mobile's decision to suspend JU and OS. For good measure it would appear that, if ASO bar a rider, the team can't replace him.

I suspect that unlike 98, the Tour is going to do whatever it deems necessary to purge the peleton. We all thought Festina would kill the Tour, but it didn't. This is much, much bigger. I see lifetime bans coming for more than a few riders and managers. If it's what's needed, so be it.

When a house has rotten foundations it's sometimes impossible to fix without demolishing it and rebuilding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
from http://radio-canada.ca/sports/cyclisme/2006/06/30/001-UllrichSuspendu.shtml

"Reste le cas de la formation Astana, qui compte plusieurs coureurs en cause.

« En ce qui concerne Astana-Würth, il y a tellement de noms de coureurs cités sur la liste, présents ou non sur le Tour, qu'on a vraiment un regret, c'est de ne pas avoir eu la liste officielle 24 heures plus tôt. La décision du Tribunal arbitral du sport (TAS) aurait peut-être été différente », a déclaré Christian Prudhomme, directeur de la Grande Boucle.

Le TAS a rejeté jeudi la récusation de l'équipe Astana en se basant sur l'absence d'éléments officiels à ce moment-là."

Concerning Astana, Christian Prudhomme stated: "There are so many riders on the list, whether present on the tour or not, that we have one regret, that the official list was not available 24 hours earlier. The decision of the TAS might have been different."

Vino is in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.