Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to WV on Wednesday to spend a few days with my mom. Did the girly thing by going to the spa but also went hiking and did some shopping in the antique stores of these little WV towns.

Anyway, thought I'd share some pics. Most of are of the general area, but the waterfall is Blackwater Falls, the bird is a sharp-shinned hawk that just snatched a chipmunk, and the church is the smallest church in the country. We had a lot of fun and the weather was great.

·
Opus was just napping
21,423 Posts
Blackwater Falls...some true hair boatin' in West Virginia with one of the greatest names ever for a rapid.

"My Nerves are shot and can't take anymore!"

After the sphincter tightening experience of running those slots, going past "puke" (a not really runnable fall with a sieve)...you will never find a more aptly named rapid to put near the end of a run.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
The appalachians sure make for pretty country.

Len

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
dang i gotta git up there and raft the New River, beautiful country

·
Opus was just napping
21,423 Posts
gutfiddle said:
dang i gotta git up there and raft the New River, beautiful country
Gauley season is going on...you have a couple of more weekends of releases.

The Gauley gets the heart pounding. Upper is pure adrenaline, lower is a little less dangerous...with Pure Screaming Hell at the end.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey Hokie, Great pics. are these all taken with the Nikon D3000 that you got and are you still using the lens kit that came with it or did you finally upgrade ??

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
CdaleNut said:
Hey Hokie, Great pics. are these all taken with the Nikon D3000 that you got and are you still using the lens kit that came with it or did you finally upgrade ??
She shot with the D3000, don't know what lens.

It ain't about the camera.

·
®
3,209 Posts
damn those are some nice images. is it just me, or does that deer shot look like an exhibit in a natural history museum?

that cute little caterpillar is really an evil, venomous little bastard. my son picked up a dozen or so of them a few weeks back, and he wound up with a crazy rash all over his body and hands so swollen he couldn't make a fist.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
I'm not a big photonut, but that's some pretty stuff there. The deer really does look amazing.

That part of the country is somewhere I've never been, but every time I see images of it, it looks like a great place to visit.

I suspect there is a good reason that few people live there, but from the look of things, I don't understand!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Great pictures and awesome looking country.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts