Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Ridley X-Fire. I have it all together, but am confused about installing the front derailleur. and how to use the pulley system. It has a Rival group on it. Is the pulley system need to be tight and loose?:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The pulley is just so that you can use a standard "bottom pull" front road derailleur with the Ridley top tube cable routing. The pulley should turn easily. Just run the front derailleur cable down the seat tube, around the pulley, and then to the front derailleur.

·
Fat aging guy on a bike..
347 Posts
I helped a buddy put together his X-Fire the other night. The pulley does not turn. Its more like a nylon 'slider' for the cable to slide around. I was pretty surprised by that...

I'm tempted to drill the pulley out for him and install a bushing so it can spin.

We also found that the cable rubs the der spring if you bring the cable up to the der on the near side. Instead, we ran it around to the non-drive side and then to the der. It shifted really clean when set up this way, so we'll try it that way for a while.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
If you want to not use the pulley, you can try a Speen Umlenker. I use one on my CX bike because the guy I bought it from had converted to single ring, took the pulley off, and lost it.

http://www.speen.de/speen*_en/speen__store.html

The engrish on there is a little tough to understand, but I've ordered from them twice, and they're legit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulley problem

If the pulley is tight the der doesn't shift. If loose, feels like the bolt is going to fall of.. How does others have this setup?

·
Fat aging guy on a bike..
347 Posts
The one I set up the other night had the pulley tight. Rival group and the black teflon coated cables that come with the Rival shifters. No problems shifting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts