Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly apologies if this post is inappropriate.

I am an MTB rider looking for his first road bike and I have till Monday to decide on a deal for a 2 month old Bianchi C2C Alu. Gruppo is Campy Veloce 10s with various carbon bits ie stem, seatpost, etc. Everything checks out re the frame & the groupset ie no scratches/dings/damage, and it is the right size.

My concern is with the wheels - bike c/w Ksyrium (sp?) SSC LE, which apparently were bought of a race team a few years ago, which unlike the rest of the bike are showing signs of wear and tear. My queries are:

1. How do you tell when the rim braking surface wears out? The rear wheel braking surface feels a bit rough and has a slight 'valley'.

2. Some of the rear spokes are slightly bent, though the wheel is relatively true. The rear looks like it has taken a bash at some point.

3. The rear wheel appears to have the spokes straight pull on the drive side, and 2x on the non-drive side. Is this correct?

Given the above, the advise I seek from the knowledgeable/experienced persons here is basically is a normal/acceptable state of affairs for a used set of wheels, or should I be walking away?

Thanks in advance for all your kind advice.

Cheers,

P.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Your post is not inappropriate at all. Run, don't walk, away from these wheels. Ksyriums are, like all factory pre-assembled wheelsets, over-priced when new and very over-priced to repair. Rims are like double the cost of a normal comparable rim and spokes are like 10x the cost of normal j-bend spokes - if you can find any. The wheels are normally a factory return for a re-build.

Good hand-built wheelsets that are comparable in weight and performance can be had for a fraction of the cost of these wheels or the rebuild of these wheels. Their "advantages" lie in their visual appeal of their decals and their eccentric spoking. In the real world of actual performance this stuff means nothing.

As a comparison you would be far better off with a wheelset that is easily repairable (with $0.75 spokes not $7-11 ones) and weighs about the same. Click here for an example. Optioned with Mavic Open Pro rims and Shimano Ultegra hubs they cost $230 and with the great Dura Ace hubs, just over $400. They are repairable by any real bike shop for reasonable cost, or by yourself. Plus they are built by people who sponsor these forums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike T,

Thanks for your advice. Was just reading another thread on the subject of $1k wheels. I guess the advice is the same as for MTB wheels ie good handbuilts are the way to go.

I will see if I can negotiate for the bike sans wheels, else I'll move along.

PS: Are you the same Mike T from MTBR? Thanks again.

Cheers,

P.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
pongee said:
Mike T,
Thanks for your advice. Was just reading another thread on the subject of $1k wheels. I guess the advice is the same as for MTB wheels ie good handbuilts are the way to go.
I will see if I can negotiate for the bike sans wheels, else I'll move along.
PS: Are you the same Mike T from MTBR? Thanks again.
Cheers, P.
Since I did my post I was thinking - how about levering the price of the bike down by $100-200 and buying a good new set of repairable wheels like the OP/Ultegras? I've got a set of those and the DuraAce versions and they're great. Yep I'm the same MT at both forums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mike,

Glad that I'm in good company. I'm prolly gonna skip those wheels as I don't think I could be truly comfortable with them - I'd always be worried/distracted.

I'm in Malaysia, so choices are a bit limited here. I'll shope around for the custom option, though this may lead to Singapore.

Cheers,

P.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
pongee said:
Hey Mike,

Glad that I'm in good company. I'm prolly gonna skip those wheels as I don't think I could be truly comfortable with them - I'd always be worried/distracted.

I'm in Malaysia, so choices are a bit limited here. I'll shope around for the custom option, though this may lead to Singapore.

Cheers,

P.
Good choice I totally agree with Mike T.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an update, the deal on the Bianchi fell thru - instead I've ended up with a Trek 1200 SL, Ultegra SL gruppo & Mavis Aksium wheels. Weight with 105 pedals is 19 pounds - for the price I paid not bad for a first bike. I'll just run them wheels into the ground or the UGI monster strikes.

When that time comes I shall remember your advice re wheelsets. Thanks again for your your help.

Cheers,

P.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts