Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-POST from "Other Builder" forum....

My Wife's Titus FCR Initial Build, sorta...
Howdy All,
Got the frame delivered on Friday afternoon and just started putting shyte on this evening. I say it's an "initial build, sorta" because the wheels and seat and bar and stem are really going on one of my builds. The Titus FCR stands for Full Custom Racer. But it isn't really custom for her since I got it off ebay, but it is pretty dang close. It will have a white SI Gel Flow Diva saddle, a narrower 38 cm carbon bar, Ritchey 90 mm/73 deg stem, white bartape (Fizik faux suede??), possibly a setback post, black Zondas with white limited edition GP4000s, and Chorus 11.

The frame has almost all the perfect measurements. The total head tube height to the bottom of the stem with the King headset and without spacers is at 7.5 inches. Her current ride has 15 mm of spacers and is about an eight of an inch taller. Her ETT on both bikes are 52.7 cm exactly! Couldn't believe it because the frame was listed as 53 cm. I don't know the seattube angle but with the good old mark2 mod1 eyeball, they look about the same, standard 73 maybe 73.5. I will use a crude angle finder when I can get my hands on one to verify. She may need to swap out the post for a setback one. With all that post showing what is the best setback out there? As much as I LOVE the Thomson straight up post, I HATE the look of their setback post. Any suggestions here???

On the topic of posts, this is the only downside I see on the Titus. It shows A LOT of post but it is still within the "max" line. A concern is can she damage the frame by going over a big pothole with all her weight on the seat??? Will it eventually damage the seatstay juncture over time from repeated small bumps???

Anyhow, I took a few photos to give you an idea of what she will look like. Any feedback, positive or negative will be much appreciated.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
I'm sure it'll be a great bike when it's built, but with such a sloping TT and so much seatpost showing, for me it's just incredibly fugly. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
foz said:
I'm sure it'll be a great bike when it's built, but with such a sloping TT and so much seatpost showing, for me it's just incredibly fugly. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear...
No problem. Want opinions, good or bad. My preference for frames are non-sloping. In fact, I like a completely level top tube. My custom frame was originally designed with a 3 deg slope and I had them take out the slope, and accepted a slightly shorter head tube. I would rather use spacers and have a level TT than have any slope and no spacers. This frame reminds me of the original sloping Giants with such a wicked slope. I didn't like those but hell, as long as the wife don't mind, it's good. I can get used to it.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I thought it was a mtn bike at first... her fit/kops will determine the post setback, and you'll prob need to look at mtn bike posts (longer). wouldn't worry about damaging the frame if the bottom if the post is below the cluster (as it should be), but the post OTOH... maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FatTireFred said:
I thought it was a mtn bike at first... her fit/kops will determine the post setback, and you'll prob need to look at mtn bike posts (longer). wouldn't worry about damaging the frame if the bottom if the post is below the cluster (as it should be), but the post OTOH... maybe, maybe not.
Thanks FTF. I am concerned about damaging the frame and also the seatpost as well. Sorry if that didn't come across in the OP. I know Thomsons are bombproof so even with all this much post exposed, I feel confident that it would not break. A carbon one on the other hand...I'd be afraid of breaking the post and getting impaled. I looked into Ti posts by Eriksen and they have 400 mm for $225. Yikes! Anyhow, I am probably going to take the frame into my LBS and have them check it out. I fear that this frame might not work for my wife because she has very long legs (longer than mine and I'm 5'10.5" and she is 5'5")

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
Mr. IROC-Z said:
Are those 38mm Reynolds?
Reynolds Attacks are 32mm

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Omg, they totally skimped on metal there. Anyways, no problems with safety or whatnots. It is a custom frame so if it fits, she got a great deal.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
CleavesF said:
Omg, they totally skimped on metal there. Anyways, no problems with safety or whatnots. It is a custom frame so if it fits, she got a great deal.

it's custom, but not for her... they got it off ebay

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks EVERYONE!!

Safety and not damaging the frame is my number one concern with the extreme slope of the frame. The seatpost has a lot of it exposed but it is still within the MAX expose (MIN insertion line.) Still, I worry that she can damage the seat stay cluster from one big, weighted hit, or over time with many small hits.

This frame is ideally suited for someone who is about 5'4" to 5'6" with normal proportions or mostly torso.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I wouldn't worry about safety or frame damage...

Ride-Fly said:
Safety and not damaging the frame is my number one concern with the extreme slope of the frame. The seatpost has a lot of it exposed but it is still within the MAX expose (MIN insertion line.) Still, I worry that she can damage the seat stay cluster from one big, weighted hit, or over time with many small hits.

This frame is ideally suited for someone who is about 5'4" to 5'6" with normal proportions or mostly torso.
...it's a Titus (I have two Oseos) and it's titanium, and Titus knows ti...

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I've seen Ti MTBs with that much post showing. Well, almost that much post :D They take a plenty of abuse.

But why guess? Ask Titus.

I have to say though -- that frame with a Thomson set-back sticking that far out is going to look like a total kludge no matter how well it fits. I'd consider throwing it back just to avoid the aggravation of explaining the situation over and over.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Many 29ers (aluminium, steel, ti or CF) will have that much post exposed.
Stick with a Thomson 410mm length and ensure that it is below the minimum and you should be AOK.

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,086 Posts
If you got a good deal on it, then you've got a fine bike. I love those frames and liked the operation down there in Phoenix the last time I was there. They make great frames. Good luck! It will look fine.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Magsdad said:
If you got a good deal on it, then you've got a fine bike. I love those frames and liked the operation down there in Phoenix the last time I was there. They make great frames. Good luck! It will look fine.
Got a tour of the Titus factory back in late 2001- they do run an excellent operation. I've visited 2 other bike manufacturers and they were no where near the level of efficiency as Titus. I had a layover in Phoenix and the hotel where we stayed at was about 2 miles from the factory so I took a nice walk. Alan and Chris C were so welcoming, and friendly. Alan stopped what he was doing and gave me a tour that lasted about 30 mins. He gave me detailed explanations of each step in the process, and answered all my questions. Afterward, I visited Chris in his office and we BS'ed for about 10 mins. It was such a great experience and confirmed that my next MTB was going to be a Titus Racer X. I ordered one from a LBS a few months later. I love my Racer X and will never part with it, except for a Ti version of the RX. I now want a Titus FCR for myself!!! Someday baby!!! Someday!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SkiRacer55 said:
...it's a Titus (I have two Oseos) and it's titanium, and Titus knows ti...
Sweet Oseos!! Why two though? Different sizes??? Different builds???

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
re the frame, no worries about seat post induced damage. Re the seat post, no worries unless your wife is a real fatty. Nice looking bike!

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is a cool bike! Aesthetically, it is very unique. And it's a Titus! I have always wanted an Oseo.

If the Thomson is at least as deep as the minimum insert line, it's fine. I have see plenty 170 lb plus mountain bikers with that much seat post showing. I am one of them at 195 lbs.

Please post some more images when it is built.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts