Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry that i had to post this here but i can not find anything on the internet on these skis. My XC ski coach is ordering me a pair of 1996 Germina world cup skis that hve never been used. They are made in east germany and i can not find any information on the skies. I live up north so all us bikers up here ski so i thought somone on this forum might know somthing about these skies. Any information will be greatly appreciated. once again i am very sorry i had to post on this subject on here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
896 Posts
too old

a couple of questions: 1) is cost a factor 2) what level of competition are you 3) are these for skate or classical?

in 10 years ski technology has changed significantly. most important was the intro of parabolic skis. back in the day, we talked about side-cut, but on 10 year old skis it is basically non-existent. on the newest skate skis you will see the parabolic shape.

I found this link: http://www.planetxc.com/Germina Page/pageger.html
they sell new Germina skis. they are very inexpensive relative to other brands. do you know why your coach is recommended vintage 1996 for you? what is the cost?

Little Man said:
I am sorry that i had to post this here but i can not find anything on the internet on these skis. My XC ski coach is ordering me a pair of 1996 Germina world cup skis that hve never been used. They are made in east germany and i can not find any information on the skies. I live up north so all us bikers up here ski so i thought somone on this forum might know somthing about these skies. Any information will be greatly appreciated. once again i am very sorry i had to post on this subject on here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding to my ski qustion on a bike forum. I made a mistake on the year of the skis they are actually 2001 and they are skate skis. My coach knows a guy who can get these skis for a very resonable price and they will be right out of the box.

·
Registered
429 Posts
oxidation of the base

First, I think Dale at PlanetXC will tell you that Germina is not being imported into the US anymore. Second, an new old base is going to be dried out after 5 years. To make the skis fast you will need to have the bases ground and wax a bunch.
Third, the skis need to be flexed for you. You really need to be there at a shop with many sets to choose from. Having a guy wearing a weight vest doing it over the phone or relying on the weight range printed on the ski, is bogus. The correct flex is more important than the kind of ski, IMHO. If you're up north, try to get to Gear West in Minneapolis, Ski Rack in Marquette, New Moon in Hayward.

chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts