Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Giant TCR with stock Xero Lite XSR3 wheel set a couple of years ago. I have no clue whether or not an upgrade is in order, though I hear that is one of the best bangs for the buck (next to training more/better). I do not hear a lot about these wheels-good or bad. I have not started racing yet, weigh 165 lbs, but mostly club ride with a lot of local "racers' and hang alright with the fast group occasionally getting dropped (not often). I am not ready to throw down $2,000 on a set of wheels, but would like to get faster if I can do it without dropping too much. Are the Xero's good, should I consider the Neuvations or others?

· Registered
35 Posts
Gstep said:
I purchased a Giant TCR with stock Xero Lite XSR3 wheel set a couple of years ago. I have no clue whether or not an upgrade is in order, though I hear that is one of the best bangs for the buck (next to training more/better). I do not hear a lot about these wheels-good or bad. I have not started racing yet, weigh 165 lbs, but mostly club ride with a lot of local "racers' and hang alright with the fast group occasionally getting dropped (not often). I am not ready to throw down $2,000 on a set of wheels, but would like to get faster if I can do it without dropping too much. Are the Xero's good, should I consider the Neuvations or others?
I've been riding/racing (Cat 5->4) on the XRS3's on my Giant for the last two years. The only issue I can think of is when you get around to truing them, the nipples (alloy?) got torn up as I tried to true the wheel. I had to replace about 5-6 of them in the process. The tension is higher than a 32-spoke wheel, my spoke tool trashed the nipples. Aside from that, they've held up rather well.

· Registered
10 Posts
durable but heavy..

i used to have a set -- never had any problems but found them to be a bit heavy.

the weight for the Xero XSR-3 wheelset is 2048g, compared to the Neuvation R28 SL3's that I'm currently riding, which is 1540g. that's about 1.12 pounds in weight savings...

i bought the SL3's from my LBS for $280 versus the XSR-3's, which were purchased off eBay for $125. while not particularly expensive, the SL3s were still a bit more than the Xero wheels. i've been very impressed with the neuvations so far, and really notice the weight difference when climbing.

· Registered
232 Posts
Make sure your using the right tool

RowRonin said:
I've been riding/racing (Cat 5->4) on the XRS3's on my Giant for the last two years. The only issue I can think of is when you get around to truing them, the nipples (alloy?) got torn up as I tried to true the wheel. I had to replace about 5-6 of them in the process. The tension is higher than a 32-spoke wheel, my spoke tool trashed the nipples. Aside from that, they've held up rather well.
Using to correct size and a high quality spoke wrench (Park) will prevent rounding out your nipples. Using a "multi" spoke wrench is almost guaranteed to round out nipples, even if its the right size.

In eight years I worked as a bike mechanic, I trued 1000's of wheels and built a few hundred. I rounded a few nipples (both alloy and brass) and pretty much every time it was my fault for using the wrong size wrench.

:thumbsup:

· Registered
10 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.