Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any personal experiences with the XR-1's?

I'm looking to get a second wheelset for general purpose, training and some sprint triathlon/not too competitive races. I will keep my A-class wheels that came with the bike (09 fuji roubaix pro) as back-up/trainer wheels.

I weigh ~200lbs, ride 5-6 hours per week, intervals and tempo, mostly as hard as I can. Ride on sadly flat terrain, mostly not too bumpy small city streets. try to keep 90-100cadence, not mashing.

the RBR reviews make this look like a good set for the price. I'm not looking for seriously racy, just want to have a good set and a backup set.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
For the money they are a decent wheelset....Light, fairly reliable and somewhat aero.

I found them to be a bit flexy for my size, which is just a bit lighter than you are. Also the aluminum freewheel hub tends to get divots from the cassette fairly easy, which tends to be an issue on most aluminum freehub bodies.

If you are looking for a good, inexpensive, stout and still somewhat aero wheelset...go with some Neuvation M28's...especially since climbing isn't an issue. They are a much stouter wheel than the Xero's and are likely more aero wheels as well.

My .02 worth :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have had 2 sets, one was flawless until after 5000 miles, without even having to true them once, a large tarmac colored something kindly bent the breaking surface to hell and back. The second set blew spokes one after another until I had them sent back and relaced under warranty. After that, I have put about 3000 on these without issue. I have ridden these weighing between 200 lbs, and 165 lbs. hammering at 50+ mph on a curvy but not too technical descent and flex has not ever been noticeable. The only time I EVER noticed it was when I was at my heaviest and was abusing both me and the bike trying to climb a mountain. then the back wheel would flex unto the brakes every now and then, but if your not climbing, I wouldn't worry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts