· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Yaquina Wheels Bicycle Club invites riders of all levels to the 4th
annual Yaquina Lighthouse Century Rides to be held on Sunday, August 17,
2008 in Newport, Oregon. All rides begin and end at the Yaquina Lighthouse
Visitor Center. The courses open at 7 am and close at 5 pm. Four rest
stops along the route provide water, a variety of fresh fruits, cooked food
items and other snacks. Mechanical support will be available on all routes.

Riders choose from three distances: 25, 62.4 (metric century) or a 100 miles
on a course that connects two lighthouses, weaves through Newport's historic
Bayfront, follows the Yaquina and Siletz rivers and passes along the beautiful Central
Coast of Oregon including breathtaking vistas at Cape Foulweather.
Watch for whales and birdwatchers look for herons, egret and bald eagles along some of
Oregon's most diverse coastal scenery and roadways.

Proceeds from the rides go to Newport's Friends of the Lighthouses,
Waldport's Green Bikes Program and other local, regional and national non-profit cycling organizations.

Please visit www.yaquinawheels.org/Century.html for more information
and a link online registration or a mail-in form.

· Registered
551 Posts
Hey skiph,
I did the ride today, did you make it? Man it was crazy with the thunder storms & rain etc. Tough ride for me. Luckily I rode with a couple dudes I met along the way and they gave me a pull around mile 88 when I bonked (thanks John, Bruce & Dennis... btw and nice to meet you).

Great ride though. I especially liked the trip around the bay and the little out-n-back through Toledo. Lots of great scenery and the folks who put it on were really trying hard to make it great. Thunder storms in August though? WTF? Better than the 108* in the valley :)

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
superjohnny:

I was there....but SAG'ing the Toledo/Elk City/Siletz route in the white mini-mini van. Since our club puts on the ride I get to work.

Those 3 guys you hooked up with...Bruce & John are a couple of our local speed demons, and Dennis is a guy I know from over in Eugene...I ride with him when he comes to the coast and a time or two on some valley rides. They were the 1st ones into Elk City and probably rest stop 2 north of Siletz.

We're still getting the thunder and rain here over night and this morning.

Glad you had a good time and hopefully stayed mostly dry.

We promise different weather next year.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Johnny:

So, WHEN were you from Newport?

The next ride I'm planning on doing is the Peach out of Salem on Sept 28th (weather permitting...).

Dennis said he was going to go also, so we'll firm that up later.

If you get over to Newport on a weekend, we do a bike shop ride on Saturday mornings at 10 AM, even into the fall and winter as long as it's not pouring or blowing 20-30 mph.

We start at BikeNewport on NW 6th st, just 1/2 block off 101, sort of behind the Lumberman's lumber yard.

Some of us ride Sundays and other days if we can get organized.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.