Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of pics of my latest yard sale find. It's a Schwinn "Premis", I would guess maybe late 80's vintage. I thought it was interesting with all the white components, frame is Columbus steel. Picked it up sat. morning, did a little cleaning, and replaced the rotted tires with a couple I had laying around. Took it out for a 20 mile ride this morning, everything works fine, no squeaks or creaks. Total investment so far 10 bucks. Vintage bikes are a great hobby, where else can you have so much fun for so little money.
Kevin

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , it came with the profile bars, but the computer is one i had in the garage. It is a 63, too big for me, but rideable. It also came with nice pedals with Christophe clips & straps, I just put those flats on for a test ride. Keep looking, the bargains are out there. You can see pics of my other 10 dollar yard sale bike (Austro-Daimler Olympian) on the Classic Rendezvous website (I rode it on one of our Sat. morning cafe rides, Dale[Cycles DeOro] thought it was interesting, so he put a few pics on the site). Cirque du Cyclism is coming up soon (June 9-11) here in Greensboro, a must for the vintage enthusiast, rides, bike show, swap meet, and several custom builders in attendance, should be a great weekend.
Kevin

· Banned
7,191 Posts
I found a schwinn premis last year at a thrift store for $10 bucks- the white components are really cool. It was too small for me but it was perfect for my wife- she says it rides really well.

You've gotta love cheap bikes!

One big advantage with the premis over other earlier schwinn frames is that it doesn't use a proprietary stem... standard 1" headset.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
KDS said:
Vintage bikes are a great hobby, where else can you have so much fun for so little money.
Amen my brother, Amen! Especially when you're not a Eurosnob. You can get so much enjoyment out of any old Schwinn or a Miyata or a classic Fuji and never spend more than $100 on any given project!

Nice work,

- FBB

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even Euro bikes can be cheap

Here is my other 10 dollar bike, an Austro-Daimler Olympian. Nothing high end, but fun to ride(531 steel), even with new tires, etc. total cost is well under 75 bucks.
Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.