Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting annoyed of this need for another tool because there's no one crank system on the market. Got the square taper one, Octalink, but lack the ****ing ISIS one. I'm going from a RaceFace Cadence to a Shimano R700, so I don't the damn tool afterwards! :mad:

While I poke around my neighborhood to see if I have neighbors with the ISIS crank tool, enlighten me with alternate ways to get this damn crank off. And don't suggest "buy yer own". Not going to settle for some legit, reasonable bull**** because that'd have to wait till tomorrow. I gots no patience for that.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
one ISIS bb I bought (or was it the crankset?) came with a little cast metal thingee that you could slide in there, and then use a square taper puller.

or, you could put a nickel in there and try that.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm back from scouring my entire neighborhood.

The guy wasn't home.

bopApocalypse said:
one ISIS bb I bought (or was it the crankset?) came with a little cast metal thingee that you could slide in there, and then use a square taper puller.

or, you could put a nickel in there and try that.
O RLY? What does that thing look like? My problem is, though, that both my square taper and Octalink pullers can't thread onto anything. I'm sure the nickel would work for pushing the spindle, though.

Tried to get my way with a rubber mallet, but without a budge, I don't want to risk telling myself I'm an idiot all night long. I'm going to ride the bike a bit, go up a mini-hill (>10% grade, 400-500feet riding distance tops).

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
looked about like a little metal top hat - worked exactly the same as the nickel would.

if the other pullers don't thread in, though, I don't know what to tell you. other than "buy your own" or parroting any of the other a$$hattery that's already been posted.

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
Next time don't bother installing a BB or a crank. They are overrated and you would be amazed at the weight savings.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe 10 minutes isn't enough, but no luck yet.

Rode it with no bolt. The crank is pretty secure because it hasn't been taken apart in nearly 5 years. I know it's not rusted, but moving the bolts themselves required quite a bit of force initially. Dressing warmer and getting back out there, circling the neighborhood for if/when it happens. At least I get some kind of a ride for the day.

weltyed said:
my raceface cadence is external.

why you gettin rid of yours?
To be dead honest. Aesthetics. I always lusted for the polished look of the R700.

The Cadence is to be moved to my hybrid/trainer bike, which only has a 44t ring/Deore Crankset. Big benefit for me over the winter since I've maxed out the current gear setup, and I won't deny that the Cadence is a proven, working crank, even in aesthetics, I've gotten the "Is that a Campy crank?". In a sense, I should admit to a functional downgrade in terms of weight and zero need for compact rings.

And azpeterb: since I'm riding without the bolts, I saved like 3-4grams. I need to get used to the increase in performance!

·
Weed
1,037 Posts
Ventruck said:
Getting annoyed of this need for another tool because there's no one crank system on the market. Got the square taper one, Octalink, but lack the ****ing ISIS one. I'm going from a RaceFace Cadence to a Shimano R700, so I don't the damn tool afterwards! :mad:

While I poke around my neighborhood to see if I have neighbors with the ISIS crank tool, enlighten me with alternate ways to get this damn crank off. And don't suggest "buy yer own". Not going to settle for some legit, reasonable bull**** because that'd have to wait till tomorrow. I gots no patience for that.
I just stuck a steel carriage bolt in there and it worked fine until I could get an ISIS adapter for my crank puller.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
weltyed said:
my raceface cadence is external.
LOL I'M SO DUMB.

Didn't read into that statement until I was riding. Then I realized: I don't need a crank tool period! It was just a matter of using the two crank bolts to push against each other. Thanks for that point.

Sry errbody. No epic ending. :D

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Ventruck said:
LOL I'M SO DUMB.

Didn't read into that statement until I was riding. Then I realized: I don't need a crank tool period! It was just a matter of using the two crank bolts to push against each other. Thanks for that point.

Srsly? :D

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Ventruck said:
LOL I'M SO DUMB.

no wonder your crank pullers wouldn't thread in to anything. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts