Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Lots of times ideas are proposed which turn out to be worthless, but this whole cooling thing seems to have real merit in the research and in real world performances. The U.S. got a Silver Medal (men's) and a Bronze Medal (women's) at the Olympic Marathon in Athens with athletes who used cooling vests.

I think the next logical thing is someone will develop a pill, with time release capabilities like some drugs already have (oxycontin for instance) which provides repeated doses of some type of cooling agent during the planned course of exercise. I can see it now. Right next to the gels and sports drinks will be the one hour cooling pill, the 2 hour, the 6 hour, the full Ironman, etc.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Consarned thermodynamics!

Gatorback said:
I think the next logical thing is someone will develop a pill, with time release capabilities like some drugs already have (oxycontin for instance) which provides repeated doses of some type of cooling agent during the planned course of exercise. I can see it now. Right next to the gels and sports drinks will be the one hour cooling pill, the 2 hour, the 6 hour, the full Ironman, etc.
Yeah, the only problem with this brilliant concept is that it is thermodynamically impossible. If you used a salt that has an endothermic heat of solution, you'd have to use so much it would probably be toxic. If you developed something that made you sweat (for cooling) it would then mess up both your hydration and electrolytes. But it's a great idea :)

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
"brain freeze" - same thing I thought when I read the article... did a very hot road race in Louisiana this past weekend and they had slushies at the finish... worst brain freeze I've ever had.

But, living and racing in Texas I have become a big fan of anything that cools me off. Haven't tried an ice vest yet but have seen several in use at the races.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'm just going to race nekkid.

·
Administrator
12,959 Posts
Kram said:
I'm just going to race nekkid.

da goggles, dey do nuthing!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Yeah, the only problem with this brilliant concept is that it is thermodynamically impossible. If you used a salt that has an endothermic heat of solution, you'd have to use so much it would probably be toxic. If you developed something that made you sweat (for cooling) it would then mess up both your hydration and electrolytes. But it's a great idea :)
Maybe, I'm not a physicist or engineer and never had to take that thermodynamics course in college. If it is actually impossible that probably makes it more likely one the supplements companies will come up with the pill and market it and not have to fear some other company will actuall develop it and steal their market share:D .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts