Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come I didn't do any century in january ?? I spent several saturdays trying stupidly to keep up with the fast racers on the 'Montrose ride', which is not even a nice ride, and goes too fast for me.

Anyway, on saturday I did the Tour de Palm Springs. I read stuff talking about 5000 participants, so this was a big event. Good ride, I did the 102 miles in 6h38, and was quite tired after that. Maybe the sun...

The full ride report, with pictures and stuff, is on
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoreels/Images/TdePalmSpringsFeb04/index.html

Below:
- I like this picture of a pack starting up the hills. Too bad it's fuzzy, I should have stopped.
- A picture to send some warmth to frozen east-coast-tough-riders: trees are already in full blossom.

Pierre

·
Registered
59 Posts
I Hate You And All Your Kind!

No, seriously, great report! I'm buried in the snow north of the 49th, stuck on the trainer for another month, maybe more, and the trees are in bloom down there! (muttering to self, "gotta get a job in the sun belt, why'd we ever move away from Phoenix, ratznfrasslsnax...)

I noticed you carrying a MAMMOTH seat pack, and it looks like you're also wearing a hydration pack. What all do you carry with you on a century? I'm planning on a century a month this year and could use some advice...

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stuff to carry

if you're in cold weather, you should ask MB1, he's more qualified than me :) The seat pack is a Jandd mountain wedge 3. Nice, lighter than Carradice ones but not as easy to access what's inside. On saturday, since it was pretty hot, the camelbak was more needed than the seat pack.

Typically I put in the seatpack: one, two or 3 spare tubes, Topeak hummer, spoke wrench, very small box that includes (powerlink, fiberfix kevlar spoke, presta to shroeder adapter, patch kit), layers for the top, a couple energy bars, or cake, or dried bananas.... If you're in cold weather I would say the layers are very important. Thermal stuff sold at REI or sierratradingpost.com. Ah, also I carry suncream and ice&hot/bengay, some tylenol and ibuprofen.

Pierre

·
Registered
140 Posts
wow! you carry a lot!

for centuries (in the north GA & NC mtns) i usually carry 2 CO2 cartridges, a CO2 inflater-thingie, a tube (maybe 2), a multi-tool, and some gels, and a baggie of endurox (for extra calories at about the 50 mile point). a camelbak is a good idea for a desert century or on a day where it will be really hot, but for the centuries i've done 2 bottles (with refills at the SAG stops when needed) have been sufficient.

clothing layers, or just dressing appropriately for the weather is key.

with the hilly centuries i've done the less i have to drag up the climbs the better (~31,000' combined in 2 road centuries and 1 off road metric century last year)!!

rt

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
31000 in 260 miles is a lot !

but also, when you're at the top of a difficult climb and it's cold, you're happy to have a spare top layer to change. On organized centuries, I agree, there's not need of much stuff. This time I hesitated about taking my seatpack, but it's convenient for putting tube/tools and windbreaker. But I'm used to unsupported centuries+ where I have to take more, so now I tend to take a bit too much all the time.

Pierre

·
Registered
131 Posts
Boy, that seems like a lot of stuff to carry. I did the PS century with some GU in my pocket, a couple of premeasured baggies of Cytomax in another pocket; a spare tubular wheel, 2 CO2 cartridges and a Tufo sealant tube under my seat.

I had a horrible ride; sick the night before, and rode the first 5 or 6 miles with my rear tire rubbing the chainstay. I kept checking my brakes, but was too stupid to realize my quick release had slipped. Life got better when I finally figured that out, but I got shelled on Dillon Rd riding with a group that was cruising at 25+ mph. It got even uglier past Indio, doing 27 mph on the long straight to Coachella. After that, it was pretty much survival to drag my butt to the finish. Even stopped a 2nd time at a rest stop, which I've never done before on this ride. The button on my friend's seat bag says it all: "Keep pedaling. You're not dead yet." My riding time was 5:06 -- I'd hoped to break 4:40. Maybe next year...

·
Registered
140 Posts
makes sense...

Pierre said:
but also, when you're at the top of a difficult climb and it's cold, you're happy to have a spare top layer to change. On organized centuries, I agree, there's not need of much stuff. This time I hesitated about taking my seatpack, but it's convenient for putting tube/tools and windbreaker. But I'm used to unsupported centuries+ where I have to take more, so now I tend to take a bit too much all the time.

Pierre
for an unsupported century i'd probably take everything but my kitchen sink!! ;) nevertheless, the more climbing involved the less i want to carry with me. :)

rt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts