Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come I didn't do any century in january ?? I spent several saturdays trying stupidly to keep up with the fast racers on the 'Montrose ride', which is not even a nice ride, and goes too fast for me.

Anyway, on saturday I did the Tour de Palm Springs. I read stuff talking about 5000 participants, so this was a big event. Good ride, I did the 102 miles in 6h38, and was quite tired after that. Maybe the sun...

The full ride report, with pictures and stuff, is on
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoreels/Images/TdePalmSpringsFeb04/index.html

Below:
- I like this picture of a pack starting up the hills. Too bad it's fuzzy, I should have stopped.
- A picture to send some warmth to frozen east-coast-tough-riders: trees are already in full blossom.

Pierre

·
Registered
59 Posts
I Hate You And All Your Kind!

No, seriously, great report! I'm buried in the snow north of the 49th, stuck on the trainer for another month, maybe more, and the trees are in bloom down there! (muttering to self, "gotta get a job in the sun belt, why'd we ever move away from Phoenix, ratznfrasslsnax...)

I noticed you carrying a MAMMOTH seat pack, and it looks like you're also wearing a hydration pack. What all do you carry with you on a century? I'm planning on a century a month this year and could use some advice...

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stuff to carry

if you're in cold weather, you should ask MB1, he's more qualified than me :) The seat pack is a Jandd mountain wedge 3. Nice, lighter than Carradice ones but not as easy to access what's inside. On saturday, since it was pretty hot, the camelbak was more needed than the seat pack.

Typically I put in the seatpack: one, two or 3 spare tubes, Topeak hummer, spoke wrench, very small box that includes (powerlink, fiberfix kevlar spoke, presta to shroeder adapter, patch kit), layers for the top, a couple energy bars, or cake, or dried bananas.... If you're in cold weather I would say the layers are very important. Thermal stuff sold at REI or sierratradingpost.com. Ah, also I carry suncream and ice&hot/bengay, some tylenol and ibuprofen.

Pierre

1 - 3 of 3 Posts