Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say the only repair I do on my bike is clean the chain and fix flats... How much per year can I expect tp spend on my bike for repairs tuneing?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Depends. Take the # of flats you get per year and multiply by the cost of the tubes you buy (unless you patch them). Now take the number of times you clean the chain per year, multiply by the price of your lube and cleaner (per use), and add that to the earlier number.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
if you break it, it will cost the replacement part + labor.

i think tune-ups are probably $100 or so at most bike shops, but they may have a couple various levels of tune-ups.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
On a typical year, I'll go through a handful a tubes, a tire or two, a chain, and some handlebar tape. Double that price for my wife's bike too. Then unexpected repairs (broken derailleur already this year). Every 2 or 3 years I change the cassette.

So, around $250 per year per bike on a guess. I don't log it.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
one million dollars. lol.

A quality set of tires should last all year and help with the control flat fixing costs. Most shops around here charge aroung 60-75 for a tune up, not including cables.

I suggest purchasing your own cables, instead buying them from the shop. Or buy an idiot's guide to bike repair or some such book and a few tools and save yourself some moolah down the road.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
For consumable items, figure $250-ish (tubes, tires, chains, bar tape...)

Don't crash...costs tend to go up exponentially...

I just dropped $150 on bars, $150 on a new helmet and shredded a $100 pair of team issue bibs. Thankfully, the rest of my bike it through relatively unscathed.
The ER bill...well that's another matter!

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Who cares? It's still cheaper than golf.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
oily666 said:
Who cares? It's still cheaper than golf.
So true. Cycling is one of the few sports that once you make the initial purchase of the bike and related accessories it's dirt cheap. If you stay away from the organized rides and don't race it costs nothing to ride. Not many other sports that you don't have to "pay to play". The only other thing that comes to mind for me personally is kayaking, but I still have to pay for the gas to get to the river.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
bike_guy said:
So true. Cycling is one of the few sports that once you make the initial purchase of the bike and related accessories it's dirt cheap. If you stay away from the organized rides and don't race it costs nothing to ride. Not many other sports that you don't have to "pay to play". The only other thing that comes to mind for me personally is kayaking, but I still have to pay for the gas to get to the river.
start racing and it becomes just as expensive as golf.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yeah for the racing cyclist you can end up dumping thousands a year.

You burn through a lot of gear a lot faster than the rec rider.

I've dumped $250 last month just on tubs of dry carb mix....enough to last three months.

I do all my own repair work, but the parts add up. I figure at least $1200 a year on average.

Then entrance fees and gas for two states that I race in mostly.

I'd say around $3000 a year out of my pocket.

I always tell other people to stay away from this if you want to compete. If you just want to ride than by all means enjoy yourself.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Bah. Save the expense entirely and just vedge on the couch.

Don't forget to factor in clothing, shoes, cleats, helmet, sport drinks, energy bars, etc. Some gear needs replacement every two or three years. My tabulation runs closer to $500 per year, based on 5,000 miles and doing my own maintenance.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
You'd be better off spending the money on tools and learning how to wrench on your ride yourself.
A good stand about $100, some incidental tools and lube plus wear parts, ie tubes and tires, clothing etc...
Once purchased tools pay for themselves big time, so in the beginning you might payout some extra but cycling is/can be a lifelong habit so over the years your investments will save you enough to get the eventual upgrades...
So don't think about what it costs as much as what it saves, especially your health!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Today's ride was cheap, 3 bottles of water and a granola bar got me 50 miles.

For a year I'd figure a pair of tires (anywhere from $30-$100), a half dozen or so tubes at $3 each, a bottle of chain lube for $10. Once you get past the initial purchase, road biking can be pretty inexpensive if you do your own wrenching and you don't get a case of upgradeitis...or wreck and break things.

·
Damn it's hot here
460 Posts
SO FAR THIS YEAR,,,my bike

2 tires 105.00
1 chain 42.00
3 tubes 9.00
3 C02 9.00
shop tuneup 35.00 9 (good deal)
replace worn LOOK cleats 45.00
New bar tape 20.00

Total so far this year NOT including, gels, shorts, socks, gloves