Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was out doing a quick 17 miles after class today (nice and warm, 55 degrees). The ride I was doing is like 1/2 a mile out to a 15 mile loop, and then a 2 mile add on at the end (turn around and cool down for the 2.5 back) anyways, in the last 2 mile section I came on some guys and smoked them doing about 30 mph (slight downhill, tailwind, and it was my final sprint). On my back on the cool down I saw they were stopped on the side of the road and I stopped and chatted for 10 or so minutes. Both of them had $4000 plus bikes, full carbon, nice wheelsets, etc....it was a nice feeling knowing I'd burned them on my totally stock sub 1100 bike....hehe. Anyways, I got an invite to a group ride and found out about some more local stuff, and we are gonna try to hook their ride up to our college team if possible. A woman they knew came up and stopped. She was going my way so I decided to trail her home. Fell twice getting into my pedals ( felt like a jerk, but I explained i just adjusted my cleat position ) So I sprinted up to her, grabbed her tire for awhile, and then attempted to take the lead, but really couldn't. Felt like more of a jerk. Luckily my turn-off was only a few hundred yards up so it wasn't awful. Anyways, great experience to smoke someone on a nice bike than me for the first time. Although getting smoked later stung (although it was supposed to be my cool down)....

·
Registered
334 Posts
1) Did you tell them it was a race? Because it's not a race, unless everyone agrees it's a race. I don't chase everyone who passes me. I'm usually working at a specific heart rate, which at times might be low.

2) You were on mile 15 of a 17 mile ride. For all you know they were on mile 72 of a 100 mile ride.

3) Why do you care what kind of bikes they ride? I'm sure there are THOUSANDS of people who spent less than you spent on your bike that would ride you into the ground without breaking a sweat. Should they judge your choice of bike? Most serious bikers will ride the best they can reasonably afford regardless of their abilities, just as you probably do.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I watched a young woman pass three of us and dissappear. She was comment worthy but nobody said a word.

Anyways sounds like you had a good ride.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doc_D said:
1) Did you tell them it was a race? Because it's not a race, unless everyone agrees it's a race. I don't chase everyone who passes me. I'm usually working at a specific heart rate, which at times might be low.

2) You were on mile 15 of a 17 mile ride. For all you know they were on mile 72 of a 100 mile ride.

3) Why do you care what kind of bikes they ride? I'm sure there are THOUSANDS of people who spent less than you spent on your bike that would ride you into the ground without breaking a sweat. Should they judge your choice of bike? Most serious bikers will ride the best they can reasonably afford regardless of their abilities, just as you probably do.
good points on all of them. I was just sort of excited, it was the first time i'd ever really caught or passed anyone out riding. But good points to keep in mind. I didn't mention anything to them about it, and they were super cool and invited me to do alot of stuff in the area. But i totally agree and realize all of the points you made.

·
Registered
71 Posts
CC09 said:
(nice and warm, 55 degrees).
You obviously don't live in Texas. lol. Hit 90 here this weekend in S. Tejas. Had to turn on the a/c on April 1st. lol. Your high temp is lower than our current overnight low.

Have fun riding your bike in your nice COOL weather. : )

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a feeling that the ppl you passed were just doing foundation miles or something.... or as stated earlier, they could have many more miles in their legs. but whatever, biking is fun! it's great to hear you had a good time :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
no shame in that...

I used to ride in the Tucson club rides Saturday mornings (At 6 a.m. or was it 5?) anyway...there was a girl in the the rides that absolutely smoked! I was getting shelled off the back in 15-20 miles with half the group and then re-group later...this girl had no problem staying with all the elite riders (albeit in the pack, not leading) But that group in Tucson gets it on, no messin around. (especially when guys like Gord Frasier shows up) So, for her to stay with them was pretty amazing. My wife in our local club ride drops half the guys on a regular basis...Some women just plain motor

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
To be fair, when I race people I usually yell GO! just as I pass them on the left. Then I take off sprinting. I don't tell them where the finish line is however. That's my ace card. If they don't bother to scout out my imaginary course beforehand then they deserve to lose.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
This is a joke, right?

Please tell me you didn't really start a thread to talk about how you passed (oh, excuse me, "smoked") folks whose bikes cost more than yours.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Aw c'mon guys - he's excited. It's never happened, and it sounds like he made some new riding buddies. He also said point taken in reply to Doc_D. Sometime we take ourselves far too seriously.

Having said that, I ride with a friend that if he is passed - shouts "Oh no you don't!" and takes out after the passer. Usually has quite a good time racing and playing, while I trudge along.......:rolleyes:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
snapdragen said:
Aw c'mon guys - he's excited. It's never happened, and it sounds like he made some new riding buddies. He also said point taken in reply to Doc_D. Sometime we take ourselves far too seriously.

Having said that, I ride with a friend that if he is passed - shouts "Oh no you don't!" and takes out after the passer. Usually has quite a good time racing and playing, while I trudge along.......:rolleyes:
If you did that all the time along US36 in Boulder you'd either:

a) have a heart attack from trying to keep up with everyone or
b) quit cycling because you can't keep up with everyone

I get passed all the time. Today I was riding the flats at about 25mph when a guy down in tri bars came flying past me like I was standing still. No way I could have cought him.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
If you did that all the time along US36 in Boulder you'd either:

a) have a heart attack from trying to keep up with everyone or
b) quit cycling because you can't keep up with everyone

I get passed all the time. Today I was riding the flats at about 25mph when a guy down in tri bars came flying past me like I was standing still. No way I could have cought him.
Yeah, well my friend is slightly insane. He probably would die in the attempt..

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Hey, that was me you smoked, riding my $4000 bike. Tell me, that girl you could'nt pass...........was she riding a Wal-Mart bike????

·
Registered
495 Posts
hehe, this is a funny thread. You forgot to mention how they all called you a knob once you rode off for thinking it was a race. Glad you had fun though!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Art853 said:
To be fair, when I race people I usually yell GO! just as I pass them on the left. Then I take off sprinting. I don't tell them where the finish line is however. That's my ace card. If they don't bother to scout out my imaginary course beforehand then they deserve to lose.
That's freakin funny. :D

In CC09's defense he did promptly reply and say that in retrospect he understands they may or may not have chased. As long as he's out there riding, he's good with me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts