Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The notion of having to slow down being aggravating...I'm riding on a 4-lane. On my two lanes, the right lane has a 45 degree intersection to the right, then continues another 50 feet or so before merging into a single lane. I'm in that right lane, doing about 12 - 15, when I see a car in my mirror pull from the left lane to the right lane. I figure they're going to turn behind me. They then slowly pass me and, with no signal, turn right in front of me. I had to fairly lock up to keep from Superman-ing over the trunk. I yell "Hey, what was that?", as I do an open hand gesture (not offensive, kind of a one-handed version of a shrug).

If I'd been a decent rider, or really working on it, it would've been ugly. I was close enough I could've reached my hand out and slapped their trunk/blinker...should I work on that maneuver with an accompanying scream of agony, then lecture them when they stop; was it a decent call; or how do you, in the 5 seconds you have, point out that "Just because YOU won't be killed in the collision doesn't mean it's safe!"

I'm actually enjoying carrying my bike to work (will try to ease into commuting) and doing the urban bike lunch thing. I know these things'll happen, just what's the best way to educate, not alienate?

Thanks,
Steve

· Registered
339 Posts
There isn't really much you can do except try not to add to the situation by being offensive, it depends on the situation though like at a stop light you may be able to have a productive conservation with a motorist about a mishap but if they are already inconsiderate they aren't about to change their mind.

I had an incident yesterday where I was riding along at a good pace, probably hovering right on the speed limit and slowed down for a stop sign holding my line on the road as there was no shoulder and as I was slowing down a car honked me just for the simple fact that I was in front of them and I was on a bike, I wasn't holding up traffic at all as a car would be doing the exact same thing. I ended p just tailgating him before I turned off the road just to show him that he was holding me up in that situation.

· Registered
1,939 Posts
This situation is very common for cyclists. You might as well get used to it. While every situation is different, they all have similar characteristics. After a while, you'll be able to anticipate the bonehead moves and it just becomes instinct.

If I think a car is about to make a right turn in front of me, I will more to the left. If the car ends up making the turn, I can just continue to go left and around the driver's side of the car. I typically don't worry about cars behind becuase they would have been forced to slow down by the car making the turn. As soon as the car is out of the way, I move back to the right.

· Registered
339 Posts
The Armagh said:
I have tailgated as well! Then I start to think of all the horrific things that could happen to me if they pumped or even slammed on their brakes! Don't like to think about eating glass - messing up my beautiful face!!!
Hmmmm hindisght is always 20/20.... Hadn't even thought about that! I don't think I'll be tailgating any longer!

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
What biknben said. The problem stems from motorists not grasping how fast the typical road cyclist riding in traffic is moving. They perceive a bigger difference in relative speed than often exists and don't realize how quickly you'll catch back up to them as they slow to make a turn. "You might as well get used to it" is exactly right. Even if you'd managed to educate tthis one particular driver (which, granted, would've been one chip away at the larger problem), someone else might do the exact same thing tomorrow, and the day after that.

There's also the larger problem we have today in which far too many people drive as if they're the only car on the road. I've had what happened to you happen to me on my bike; I've also had it happen to me in my car. The mentality seems to be, "Once I get past this other guy, even by six inches, whatever happens behind me is not my problem."

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
A loud "WATCH OUT!" from the diaphragm is both the cyclist's version of a horn (alerts drivers who might just be oblivious), and lets drivers who are just mild jackasses know that you're not cool with what they're doing.

The giant jackasses aren't going to change anyway, but at least it gives 'em less reason to try to murder you than flipping the bird.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
John Nelson said:
Once they started to pass you, you may not have known exactly what was going to happen next, but the actual events were a high probability. Riding safely is all about anticipating the possibilities and being ready for them.
Exactly right!:thumbsup: It's not about being right. It's about being alive & uninjured.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Argentius said:
A loud "WATCH OUT!" from the diaphragm is both the cyclist's version of a horn (alerts drivers who might just be oblivious), and lets drivers who are just mild jackasses know that you're not cool with what they're doing.

The giant jackasses aren't going to change anyway, but at least it gives 'em less reason to try to murder you than flipping the bird.
Watch out, believe it or not, can often be taken as offensive. I think. All i know is one guy nearly tried to kill me after i yelled watch out and then was like "I CAN LOOK AT THE ROAD MYSELF, *choice words describing my relationship with my mother and my wonderful shorts*"

I think the best is a just plain scream of horror... "ah...Ah... AHHHHHHH" type thing that starts out quiet then escalates very quickly. Kinda like what comes outta your moth wehn you see a car coming at you at 30 and you're in the middle of an intersection.
It's not offensive, and it says quickly "you nearly killed me".
Then, some of the other guys said tailgate to show your speed. I kind of do that. In stop and go you can do intervals. Stop sign/light to light. You can go 30mph and keep with the cars. Hurts but it shows the real speed of a cyclist. How to make it easier - lock onto a guy in the fast lane. Stay in the slow line, but ride a bit diagonal of him, behind him. so you're far left in the right lane. You wont get much of a draft, but enough, and if they step on the brakes, you're not behind them. It's nonaggressive and shows how fast we are.
-estone2

· Registered
30 Posts
my short story

once upon a time............ was riding toward the house on a straight road, and was watching the car in the other lane stop to make left turn. the had plenty of time to turn before i got near them, then they decided to turn in front of me and stop with the rear of the car in my riding sapce. Well I slowed and pulled up to the passenger window and scared the crap out of everyone in the car by yelling at them and then pounded my hand on the trunk as i went by. the car didn't move until i was well down the rode. boy i sure did feel better.

and lived another day to yell at another driver.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
"I CAN LOOK AT THE ROAD MYSELF, *choice words describing my relationship with my mother and my wonderful shorts*

LOL......thats funny. What a nice guy to say that to you. Did you give him the double, single finger salute to show your appreciation??

On a similar note, I also almost got run over by some lady in a Cadillac "Escalade" about a month ago. I was riding home from work, around 8 am when this woman slowly passes me and immediately turns right into a parking lot. What got me was that she had'nt completely passed me. When she turned into the parking lot I was dead even with the right rear door of her vehicle, and was forced to turn with her, or get run over. Really pissed me off too. I followed her into the parking lot and waited until she parked. Then I motioned for her to roll her window down. I have to admit I was a little surprised it turned out to be a woman because I really thought it was some guy at first. (tinted glass can sometimes do that.) Well, needless to say that kinda changed things. Plucked some of the spunk out of me, but at least I told her off, even if it was more at a subdued level.

I know...........I'm a sap.

5,513 Posts
croswell1 said:
LOL......thats funny. What a nice guy to say that to you. Did you give him the double, single finger salute to show your appreciation??
The best response in my opinion is one that floors the guy.
Shortswise it was something along the line of "queer shorts" or something. I just told him that I'd get my boyfriend to beat him up. At that point, OF COURSE we hit a red light... so I glance over to make sure he doesnt attack me or something, and he's just staring at me in shock, so I burst out laughing.
Kind of happy ending - he figured out I was kidding I guess, cuz he starts laughing too, and says "Hey, you bikers aint that bad"
-estone2

· Registered
7 Posts
It's not their fault...

I don't think they realized when they bought that brand new car that they don't make them with turn signals anymore. At least the last ten years or so. I'm sure every driver would courteously communicate with others on the road if they had one of those funny levers next to the stearing wheel. And that phone call they're taking, well that's WAY more important than us getting home in one piece.

Make eye contact, signal your intentions, anticipate the flakes, and be careful out there!

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I am a daily cycle commuter on the same route at the same time every day. I have to watch myself because I will see the same drivers the next day. I also have to temper my outbursts because I am a 21 year Navy vet, the general public is not prepared for me. I can use it as an adjective, adverb, verb, noun, etc.

5,513 Posts
bigbill said:
I am a daily cycle commuter on the same route at the same time every day. I have to watch myself because I will see the same drivers the next day. I also have to temper my outbursts because I am a 21 year Navy vet, the general public is not prepared for me. I can use it as an adjective, adverb, verb, noun, etc.
The F bomb as a noun? Other than I don't give a flying fork...?
-estone2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.