Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the deal with the yellow jersey winner? Does he have to change the rest of his kit and bike to match?

Seems like everyone has a matching bike after they win it. That would mean they all have a yellow bike, shoes, helmet "just in case".

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Sometimes the stuff is made overnight. I believe Chavanel's Merckx was done so since, no offense to him and his team, no one really knew it was coming - especially when he was holding two jerseys.

They don't have to have matching stuff from what I understand, but hey: you're at the top of the GC for who knows how long. Time to be the hot **** while you can.

I assume the UCI has yellow jersey's setup for any team at least.

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,275 Posts
The have a jersey printing machine in a trailer. So they can make a jersey for any team within 20 minutes or so (in the right size). I think all the team specific info is in the general area, not just spread out across the entire jersey.

Reference: one of those filler segments from a tour about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You can bet they had a yellow bike in the bus for Cancellara, was a fairly safe bet that he would be wearing yellow after the prologue.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
godot said:
It's all Cipo's fault
I was just gonna say that. Remember the in-race impromptu commercial? Yellow Jersey, yellow shorts, yellow shoes, and yellow Cannondale bike. Moto pulls alongside, and Mario starts gesturing and shouting, "Eet's a can-own-dale; eet'sa the best-a bike!"

There'll never be another rider with his combination of style and ability. I love Cav and Ale Jet, but everybody seems bland compared to the Lion King.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cruso414 said:
how does Cippo get away with wearing sh!t like that while LA and RS had to change during the race?
And LA and RS registered with one kit, and showed up to race in another.

·
not feeling creative
142 Posts
rsosborn said:
And LA and RS registered with one kit, and showed up to race in another.
so Cippo registered all those stupid outfits? Is that why he was fined so many times for not wearing his registered kit?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,434 Posts
Ventruck said:
Sometimes the stuff is made overnight. I believe Chavanel's Merckx was done so since, no offense to him and his team, no one really knew it was coming - especially when he was holding two jerseys.

They don't have to have matching stuff from what I understand, but hey: you're at the top of the GC for who knows how long. Time to be the hot **** while you can.

I assume the UCI has yellow jersey's setup for any team at least.
the UCI doesn't have anything to do w/ it, it's the ASO (they run the tour, and a few other big races)...like someone below said, they have a trailer w/ the ability to either screen or sublimate on site, can't remember how they do it. it's probably the same at the giro and the vuelta.
here in the states, we have sublimated squares of fabric w/ the sponsors logos, and we spray glue it onto whatever jersey we need to for podium and the next days stage.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I laugh every time I see the polka dot covered bikes.. Just doesn't look right IMO. However if I were able to obtain that jersey you better believe I'd have a bike by overnight delivery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts