Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
With tubies, you get what you pay for.

At 3 for $50, you get crap. They are the equivalent to $8 clinchers.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I have been commuting on them, and I wouldn't characterize them as complete crap. They are certainly better than $8 dollar clinchers.... I would place them on par with any mid-level Vittoria or Michelin clincher. I wouldn't race on them, but if you have tubular wheels lying around and you want to commute or otherwise abuse them, they are fine. The compound is surprising soft--- so they pick up cuts quite easily, but they are durable enough. This comes from someone who would never commute on $8 dollar clinchers, either.

At least they are round--- much better than Conti Giros.

MR_GRUMPY said:
With tubies, you get what you pay for.

At 3 for $50, you get crap. They are the equivalent to $8 clinchers.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jersey tubulars

filtersweep said:
I have been commuting on them, and I wouldn't characterize them as complete crap. They are certainly better than $8 dollar clinchers.... I would place them on par with any mid-level Vittoria or Michelin clincher. I wouldn't race on them, but if you have tubular wheels lying around and you want to commute or otherwise abuse them, they are fine. The compound is surprising soft--- so they pick up cuts quite easily, but they are durable enough. This comes from someone who would never commute on $8 dollar clinchers, either.

At least they are round--- much better than Conti Giros.
I guess Mr grumpy's wrong. They are $17 each. Do they cut as easily as Vittoria's? how do you prevent flats? Do you use pitstop or something else?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I am using Tufo sealant. I have never flatted on them. Since I commute, I just carry an extra tire in my work bag (and that is where the 3 for 50 comes in nicely).

I don't know how to answer your cut question. I commute on these things, so they are used all the time and in all conditions--- in a lot of rain, and I take a gravel road shortcut-- so I am not particularly kind to these tires. Realistically, they wear similar to my Vittoria Evo Cxs or Veloflex Paves (and they have the same file pattern tread)-- meaning the rubber is rather soft. If I get around to it, I might take photos comparing a new and used tire.

The whole key is to match these to your expectations. As I said originally, if you want a round, cheap tubular (that is likely better than a Conti Giro), these are worth looking at. If you want a latex tube and 300+ tpi casing, you won't be happy. For the price, I don't see how you could be disappointed.

Lectron turned me on to these--- don't know if he is lurking around here, or if he is currently using them himself.

steel515 said:
I guess Mr grumpy's wrong. They are $17 each. Do they cut as easily as Vittoria's? how do you prevent flats? Do you use pitstop or something else?

·
What the Hell is going on
5,875 Posts
'Hanx

Thanks for the link. I use Vittoria Rally toobies on my everyday ride. They're cheap and far better than any uber light weight clincher tires I've ridden.

I also love the cool all black look and 21.5 size. Sounds like a win win situation!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Lectron, per your recommendation, here or maybe it was BikeForums, I bought 6 of these tubulars sight unseen. I am going to use some on my build in progress fixed gear and I might also use them on another upcoming build. They are way better looking than the Vittoria Rally tubulars that someone gave me. I bought the black sidewall variety as I needed removeable cores so I could easily inject some Stan's sealant into the tubes. I have them stretching right now on some old Matrix Iso rims. They went on the rims much easier than any Continental tire I have used. Can't wait to get them on the road.

If they are as good as everyone says, then I have found a true training tire and can save my Continental Competitions for events. Six tires with shipping worked out to $18.33 each including shipping. I can't find a decent clincher+tube for that kind of money even from PBK.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I took the opportunity to weigh the tires to see how close they are to the claimed weight of 300 grams. Of the six tires I bought the weights were as follows: 292, 294, 297, 304, 304, 310 grams. To put that in perspective I have five new Vittoria Rally tires, their weights were: 289, 291, 295, 295, 298 grams. The two Continental Competitions I have are 243 and 245 grams respectively.

I won't know how well they ride for at least three weeks as I won't get my wheels built until Monday and I will be unable to ride the following two weeks. Once back on the bike I will definately put these tires through their paces and compare them. I won't be able to compare them to the Rally's since I have never mounted them, but I can compare them (even if it is unfair) to the current Vittoria EVO Corsa and Continental Competition that I am currently riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.