Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/ideas about a 2-day riding vacation in YNP before the roads open to traffic? :D

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
jeffnboise said:
Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/ideas about a 2-day riding vacation in YNP before the roads open to traffic? :D
Bring your snow tires and chains.

The roads in YNP are closed for a reason - they are covered in snow. It's not like they shut them down to give the animals a break before all the tourists show up. It's still winter up there and you are much more likely to be riding a snowmobile than a bicycle.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
moneyman said:

The roads in YNP are closed for a reason - they are covered in snow. It's not like they shut them down to give the animals a break before all the tourists show up. It's still winter up there and you are much more likely to be riding a snowmobile than a bicycle.
what money said...it's cold up there this time of year. We usually don't go to WY till June at the earliest. That said...Yellowstone is cool in the winter. No crowds and the geysers are super cool looking with the snow. Thanks to GW you can snowmobile in there again...not saying that is a good thing tho. Money may disagree.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
moneyman said:

Moneyman,
Actually, for a few weeks in April the roads are OPEN (and cleared of snow) to non-motorized traffic only. Just finished the West Yellowstone-Gardiner-West Yellowstone circuit on Wed-Thurs (12th-13th April.) The scenery is AWESOME; Bison, elk, deer, bald eagles, moose-all of this within 15 miles of the park entrance. The weather got dicey (to say the least) at the 7000' mark above N. entrance, but all in all an EPIC adventure.

p.s. the animals did seem well rested from their "break"-but perhaps it would be best to have some more of the facts before dispensing (what I perceived to be) smarta## advise. thanks. jeff

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Spring in the park is a wonderful time to ride. Of course, spring comes on different dates different years. Be prepared for all kinds of weather and for over zealous rookie rangers. One year, we ecountered a gate person who wanted to charge us two entries (my wife and I) because we had just a single Golden Eagle passport..We backed up a bit, I put her on my top tube sidesaddle and she held her bike as we rolled back to the dodo at the gate..."There, now we are two people in one RV, hauling a trailer..a**-hole! Just like all these people waiting in line behind us" He let us through...dummy..
Don Hanson

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
jeffnboise said:
Moneyman,
Actually, for a few weeks in April the roads are OPEN (and cleared of snow) to non-motorized traffic only. Just finished the West Yellowstone-Gardiner-West Yellowstone circuit on Wed-Thurs (12th-13th April.) The scenery is AWESOME; Bison, elk, deer, bald eagles, moose-all of this within 15 miles of the park entrance. The weather got dicey (to say the least) at the 7000' mark above N. entrance, but all in all an EPIC adventure.

p.s. the animals did seem well rested from their "break"-but perhaps it would be best to have some more of the facts before dispensing (what I perceived to be) smarta## advise. thanks. jeff
Gosh, jeffnboise, please accept my most sincere apologies for you not being able to ask your questions better. Here's a little tidbit from the NPS regarding riding in YNP in the spring time:

The winter snowmobiling season in Yellowstone National Park ends around mid-March and the spring/summer wheeled-vehicle season opens on the third Friday in April, conditions permitting. From mid-March to the third Thursday in April, public access via motorized vehicles is prohibited while park crews plow the roads and make preparations for the summer season. This time period allows the unique opportunity for non-motorized use of certain park road segments. Bicycling, walking, jogging, roller blades, roller skis, and similar means of non-motorized travel are permitted between the West Entrance and Mammoth Hot Springs ONLY from about mid-March through the third Thursday in April. The opening day in March is weather dependant. The East and South Entrances and roads are Not Open for these early spring activities. The road from Madison Junction to Old Faithful will Not Open for spring activities during this timehttp://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/todo/biking/sprgbike.htm

And, just as a reminder that getting there is half the fun: Spring weather is unpredictable; roads may be closed temporarily by snow or other weather conditions. Snow tires or chains may be required. http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/orientation/travel/roadopen.htm

Just because I lived a few miles from the park for four years and have taken hundreds of trips inside the park in all seasons probably means that I don't know what I'm talking about. You asked about riding in the park. I said that the roads are closed because of snow, which is true for the majority of roads. The route you travelled is just as likely to be covered in fresh snow as it is to be open. Maybe you could be a little more specific next time you have a question like this.

My initial repsonse was not a smart-a**ed response, but this one sure is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts