Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three nice road bikes, plus a Litespeed Classic frame and fork that I bought for no good reason, so I don't really need a new bike. But this Colnago Arabesque frame is really tempting. Colnago introduced the Arabesque and the Master in the same year, but only built the Arabesque for one year since it didn’t sell as well. Arabesque had fancy lug work and conventional round tubes; the Master had less fancy lug work and the cool star shaped Gilco tubing. Last year, someone found a box of Arabesque lugs in Ernesto’s basement and Colnago decided to use them to build new versions of the Arabesque with Gilco tubes. The fact that I'm lusting over a steel bike is evidence that I'm over 50 I guess. Anyone have a Master (same geometry and tube set) that they love or hate?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes I have a Mapie Master, that I love 👍😀😎. Built it up with Campy Athena, custom wheels. Love the paint on yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I didn't realize they were making new ones. Those are gorgeous frames and definitely lust worthy. I have so many on my want list, the cost of this one keeps it pretty far down.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Having just built up a frame (my first one in about 8 1/2 years), my bike lust has temporarily subsided. It's now a matter of enjoying the new bike out on the road. I did buy a carbon Guerciotti back in 06 but had to sell it when the economy went to sh*t. Already owning a steel framed bike, not really lusting after another. A few years back Bicycle Sport Shop used to carry Independent Fab. Their stainless steel was a sweet looking bike.

If I were looking for a new steel frame; Pegoretti, Tommasini, Independent would be short list. I know a lot of think highly of Colnago but back when I was racing, several people I knew thought of them as more assembly line frames. My roommate at the time had one, several people I raced with had them, plus seeing them at the shop. The paint jobs were not as good as DeRosa, Tommasini, Guerciotti and there always seemed to be some spot where (don't know if slag would be the right word)something that was from brazing was just painted over. Their quality control seemed to be a little bit lagging behind the others. Back then a steel Colnago was running at $475. Guerciotti, Ciocc, Rosin, Pinarello, Masi were all at $550. DeRosa and Tommasini at the top running $575.

I know Colnago makes nice bike but my lust for them always seems tempered by what I saw back then. Haven't seen enough of the new ones up close and personal to develop an opinion about them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Recently built up a Master. Really liking it so far. Great second bike and very different from my Roubaix. If you want it, get it!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recently built up a Master. Really liking it so far. Great second bike and very different from my Roubaix. If you want it, get it!

Bit the bullet this morning and bought it from Mike at Maestro. He's the guy for Colnagos -- about $1100 less than what everyone else is asking.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I have three nice road bikes, plus a Litespeed Classic frame and fork that I bought for no good reason, so I don't really need a new bike. But this Colnago Arabesque frame is really tempting. Colnago introduced the Arabesque and the Master in the same year, but only built the Arabesque for one year since it didn’t sell as well. Arabesque had fancy lug work and conventional round tubes; the Master had less fancy lug work and the cool star shaped Gilco tubing. Last year, someone found a box of Arabesque lugs in Ernesto’s basement and Colnago decided to use them to build new versions of the Arabesque with Gilco tubes. The fact that I'm lusting over a steel bike is evidence that I'm over 50 I guess. Anyone have a Master (same geometry and tube set) that they love or hate?
I did not know the history on the Arabesque so thanks for sharing. I have 4 steel bikes (including a Master) plus one soulless plastic bike. I think if I get another bike (which I have no valid reason to do) I might try a Ti bike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bit the bullet this morning and bought it from Mike at Maestro. He's the guy for Colnagos -- about $1100 less than what everyone else is asking.
Awesome! I'm sure Mike will take care of you. Don't forget to post pics of the completed bike!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 2013 30th Anniversary Colnago Master that is by far the best bike I've ever owned. I also have a 2002 Master with the Columbus Gilco & the new Master is lighter & rides slightly better. Enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2013 30th Anniversary Colnago Master that is by far the best bike I've ever owned. I also have a 2002 Master with the Columbus Gilco & the new Master is lighter & rides slightly better. Enjoy your new bike.
Thanks everyone. I think that unlike my Merckx bike, I'm going to go with Campy Chorus instead of polished Athena because the Chorus stuff works better (I have both).

DaveG -- I've been riding a titanium Litespeed for years. Rides like steel and there's no worries about chipping paint because there is none. Great travel bike.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
The original Arabesques were built by Rauler, and they are still building frames.
The Arabesque lugs are a tribute to the style of lugs used at Gloria, where Ernesto Colnago started working in the bicycle industry back in the early fifties.
Colnago had some frames (by Rauler) made with the Arabesque lugs and Gilco profiled tubes. I think it was the Regal. Cleaning up the elaborate lugwork after brazing was too labour intensive for Colnago's bottom line.
Rauler frames with the Arabesque lugs show up on EBay but are very expensive.
The story about lugs being found is pure Colnago marketing blather.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have three nice road bikes, plus a Litespeed Classic frame and fork that I bought for no good reason, so I don't really need a new bike. But this Colnago Arabesque frame is really tempting.
Looks amazing, I really like the color.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts