Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First bike or I can wait for something better, I just dont know for how much longer. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W8R2FG/ref=s9subs_c3_at1-rfc_g1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GVGQ0RQ7VCD26BF6Y34&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846 It has tiagra components but looks to be a bit heavy...

Would you wait it out (month or two) and spend around 1k if this was going to be your first bike, or is this good enough to get a feel for the sport?

Thanks and sorry for the coldness of my post, Im in a hurry and will come back to properly introduce myself.

Thanks again,

James

· Registered
642 Posts
I assume this is your first road bike.
In which case, your better off putting yourself in the hands of your local bike shop.
There really is no substitute for the experience and support you'll get there.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Do you have any clue as to what size? I think you would be dissapointed...I tell people if you want a real bike, you are looking at $1000+ for something you will be happy with, and that is a starter.

· Registered
1,627 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, both of those bikes are great deals. I have been looking around boston craiglist but most of the stuff isnt as good a deal as those two. Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll just wait it out and maybe some things will also go on sale towards the end of the season.

I visited both of my LBS and they were both very helpful. I walked out barely dodging a 1700 dollar bill, I guess I will wait and be patient. I am starting to get used to the idea of spending a grand on a bike. Is full carbon a stretch for a first bike? I get my bonus next month and my LBS has gotten me hooked on something I dont really need.

Thanks again,

James

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,540 Posts
If it is a bike that you will enjoy riding? No not at all---besides, if you stick with it you'll prolong the onset of upgraditis for a bit.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Carbon Fiber...

Shostakovich33 said:
Wow, both of those bikes are great deals. I have been looking around boston craiglist but most of the stuff isnt as good a deal as those two. Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll just wait it out and maybe some things will also go on sale towards the end of the season.

I visited both of my LBS and they were both very helpful. I walked out barely dodging a 1700 dollar bill, I guess I will wait and be patient. I am starting to get used to the idea of spending a grand on a bike. Is full carbon a stretch for a first bike? I get my bonus next month and my LBS has gotten me hooked on something I dont really need.

Thanks again,

James
Is an awesome materials for a road bike...but to get the most benefits, the bike pretty much has to be mostly carbone. A carbon tid bit or two isn't going to do anything. Just remember, carbon is not a 'tough' as aluminum (when I say tough, a carbon frame bike simply falling over can be disastrous). Carbon fiber at $1000 IS a stretch. For a nice carbon bike, closer to $3000.

· Registered
63 Posts
Wait 'till the 'right' one comes along

As a 'returning' road rider, I faced a similar dilemma to yours ... rode extensively many years ago, then rode MTB in the SF Bay area .. moved to FL and wanted back on the road.. can afford most anything, but thought about it ... as a 'new' rider do I REALLY need a bike with spec better than 20lbs (frame whatever) with good brakes and shifters that fits me properly ... the NEXT bike might be much higher spec'ed but that is at least a year of riding away ...

so why not consider just that and either get the LBS to fit you properly to something that will get you on the road without breaking the bank 'cause there are LOTS of other things you'll buy like shoes, clothes, cyclometer, etc. or ..

if you really know what you are doing watch CraigsList and be patient. I watched and also watched eBay .. but I think your risk/exposure is so great with eBay that you would be better off to be patient and go for things on CL that you can actually see, ride. (again assuming you really know what you are doing, if not LBS only) .. in my case I eventually found a Cdale R800 that was neglected/dirty but not abused; offered about 60% of asking and was firm on that; bought it; stripped it to the frame on a Sat and cleaned/lubed everything, back together Sunday and tuned, riding Monday and happy as can be with a bike that will get me well on the way and be a great bad weather ride a year or two from now when that 'dream' bike come along .. just some thoughts and as always YMMV ... Cheers

· Registered
2,817 Posts
I am in a bit of a similar situation. I am getting _my_ first bike, but have been riding a 25yo bike for a year or two now (hand-me-downs FTW!). I am going for the big kahuna (Trek Madone 5.2 Pro range).

My reasoning? I could spend the $4000 now (bike + shoes + pedals + etc) or spend $2000 now and $2000 when I get bored and get upgradititus.

But I know that I will be riding this bike for years to come. So if you are unsure about the sport, I suggest spending less. Possibly even getting a used bike that is a bit older ($200-400 range) and in good condition. This way you haven't spent much, the bike isn't new (don't have to worry so much about damaging it) and parts will be cheap.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Start with $1200 aluminum bike....would ride it until you discovered you really enjoy riding and then upgrade to carbon and keep aluminum bike as a stand by (dont sell it you might regret it one day). Be careful though, or you could start with a $3000 budget for your 'last bike' and end up with close to $7000...not hard to do when you start test riding bikes!!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone :)

You guys have been really helpful, its good to see Im not the only one who questions buying the whole package or upgrading my wallet into oblivion on a lesser bike. After all the advice I think I am going to go with an Al framed bike for the first year or two. I will upgrade as necessary which should lessen the sticker shock by spreading it out. The carbon bike was a good bit over 2k and to be honest there is a lot I could spend that money on.

The guys at my LBS have been very patient so I am going to purchase a new bike from them. Hopefully it will be easier to sell if the sports not for me, which Im highly doubting. A lifetime of free tune-ups, proper fitting and 20% discount on everything is also an added bonus. I realized I like GIANT and CANNONDALE frames and wondered if you guys had any good suggestions in their 1000-1400 dollar range? I have ridden a CAAD9 5 and I enjoyed it quite a bit. They also have a Carbon Synapse 2 on sale and a new carbon Cannondale bike (forgetting the name at the moment) coming in which I could get for the same price 17XX range. Im going to take my time with this so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks once again for all the help,

James

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track...once you get a good fit, I would ride your first bike for at least 1500 miles BEFORE even thinking of upgrading anything (except the saddle of course....that is almost a must for just about everyone - you may want to think of working a better saddle into any deal - stock saddles almost always suk for most riders). After riding long enough to know if you really like it or not, then evaluate if you want to upgrade parts or upgrade bike (with Ultegra/Force or better components). GOOD LUCK. Sounds like you have found a good shop and are on the right track!

· Registered
40 Posts
Shostakovich33 said:
I have been looking around boston craiglist but most of the stuff isnt as good a deal as those two.

James, If you are in the Boston area, definately go check out Wheel works in Belmont. It is the most amazing shop and they have hundreds of bikes to look at! Its a real great shop, I got my bike there.

-Aidan

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
There's a very important tenet of sales/doing buisness/ trading. It's a heee hooo

"He who is in the biggest hurry always loses."

Bikes are like potato chips. Go ahead - eat them all. They'll make more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.