Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm following along with this helpful link that beergood provided, http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/wheels/

Problem is my axle is not threaded far enough on one side to allow for a perfect centering on the hub. Should I go with the hand grenades/horseshoes method or get a new axle with enough threading to allow for proper spacing on either side?

I know I'm annoying the fixie veterans but us greenhorns need all the help we can get...

Thanks

· Registered
14,776 Posts
More information?

I can't tell from your question exactly what your problem is. Is this an old freewheel hub? Is it solid axle or quick-release? If it's a solid axle with nuts, you only need enough room on each end for the nuts to thread on fully. If it's QR, you need to be a little more accurate with how much axle protrudes past the locknuts.

In either case, you're not necessarily looking for "perfect centering on the hub." Rather, what you want is to re-space the cones so the cog is in the right place to get you a good chainline with whatever crank and chainring setup you've got. Have you done that measurement to figure out where you need to go?

In any event, I've never seen an axle that didn't have enough threading to allow the necessary adjustment for this. Most of them are threaded way further than necessary. Are you sure you understand the process correctly? Also, if the axle has more threading on one end than the other, you can reverse it to get the extra threads where you need them.

Here's another source for lots of info. Good luck.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

· Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a QR axle. I've had the axle out to overhaul the hub and was trying to just space the axle by itself without thinking about the full context of the relationship to crank, cog, etc. This seems to be the error that has been blocking my progress.:mad2:

I re-read the fixie on the cheap article on the sheldon site and things make more sense now.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.