Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process as we speak. How many coats of glue do you guys/gals like to use on the rim total? I was going to do three, then one final coat when mounting, for a total of four. Is this overkill? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
3 should be sufficient, including the final wet application before mounting. Are you following a tested/verified process?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
3 is plenty, with 2 on the tires, making sure you allowed the glue to really saturate the base tape.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing, do you guys like to do the final "wet" coat on the rim, or the basetape? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Ziptie said:
One more thing, do you guys like to do the final "wet" coat on the rim, or the basetape? Thanks.
Rim! And as good as that thread is, I think Zank's article really is the foolproof approach.

********************************************************************************************************
Here's the article on the Embro site.

http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/online/how-to-gluing-cx-tubulars

And it's original home on Vsalon if the above link changes at some point.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ht-honey-ive-got-mastik-1-headache-10244.html

Coolhand, feel free to move these to a more appropriate place if you want.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got the tires on, but one of them has a fair amount of glue on the sidewall. Do i need to clean this off before sealing them, or just wear it like a battle scar? Thanks.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Ziptie said:
So I got the tires on, but one of them has a fair amount of glue on the sidewall. Do i need to clean this off before sealing them, or just wear it like a battle scar? Thanks.
Once it dries and gets hard it'll be a lot easier to get off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts