Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.tick. .tick. .tick. 6 o'clock position of the right (drive side) crank-arm under load, only out of the saddle, in every gear.

Did the following with no change to the noise:

2 different front wheels
2 different rear wheels
pulled, cleaned, greased, new headset (adjustment checked several times)
loosened re-torqued stem bolts
loosened, re-torqued BB to spec (near new Enduro Torqtite)
re-greased crank spindle
cleaned re-installed BB bearing seals
tightened BB bearing pre-load to spec, then tightened some more
removed, greased crank mounting bolts and torqued to spec
removed, cleaned, greased, torqued-to-spec chain-ring bolts
chain rings are new this year
different pedals
different shoes (cycling and street shoes)
cables aren't hitting anything (verified multiple times)
carefully checked BB area, chain stays, seat stays for cracks

Noise started part-way through a Europe trip in July (nothing of note preceded the noise i.e. no crash, no rain ride, etc.)

About the only thing I haven't done yet is put on a new chain. Park chain tool shows only about half-worn however, and I did clean re-lube it. Will try a new chain tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i would try a different crank and bb, and if it still does it, time to sell.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
My Madone had a click that I traced to the shift housing where it enters the frame. I had used metal ferrules and as the housing compressed and the wires started sticking out from the end they would rub inside the ferrule and click. Usually happened when I was standing or sometimes when climbing seated and the bike was being rocked back and forth a little. Changed the metal ferrules out for plastic in that location and no more noise. It's a long shot but when you've tried everything else...

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
.tick. .tick. .tick. 6 o'clock position of the right (drive side) crank-arm under load, only out of the saddle, in every gear.

Did the following with no change to the noise:

Nothing to do with the seat or seatpost

Any other ideas?

First thing I check with noises is if it's different in or out of the saddle. If it is, almost always it's the saddle/seatpost/something there to blame.

I understand it's probably first instinct to think it can't be the seat if it's quiet when you're sitting on it, but we all know how instincts and frame noises work together.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Madone had a click that I traced to the shift housing where it enters the frame. I had used metal ferrules and as the housing compressed and the wires started sticking out from the end they would rub inside the ferrule and click. Usually happened when I was standing or sometimes when climbing seated and the bike was being rocked back and forth a little. Changed the metal ferrules out for plastic in that location and no more noise. It's a long shot but when you've tried everything else...
NOT a bad idea! I believe I do have metal ferrules in that location. I will give it a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
First thing I check with noises is if it's different in or out of the saddle. If it is, almost always it's the saddle/seatpost/something there to blame.

I understand it's probably first instinct to think it can't be the seat if it's quiet when you're sitting on it, but we all know how instincts and frame noises work together.
^This.

Recently resolved a similar ticking issue on my Synapse after replacing headset and BB (both needed it). Ticking sound while pedaling but only while seated.

Pulled, cleaned and greased the seat tube. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out the shift ferrules were plastic so no joy there. :( Rear brake ferrules are metal but I disconnected the rear brake cable and pulled the housing out of the ferrules and still get the noise.

Still haven't gotten around the changing the chain. Crank or BB are possible, but I don't get any sound at all when seated even when pushing a really big gear. I have in the past when it was a BB. Still possible but not giving it a great chance.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
^This.

Recently resolved a similar ticking issue on my Synapse after replacing headset and BB (both needed it). Ticking sound while pedaling but only while seated.

Pulled, cleaned and greased the seat tube. Problem solved.
Ticking would have to be induced by pressure causing something to hit something else. Rider has to be sitting on the saddle to make it tick. Out of the saddle there's no pressure on any part above the seat tube-BB junction, so the saddle and seatpost components are swinging freely back and forth, and there'd be no ticking.

Old Chipper, if the crank ticks at 6 oclock, well, it's the sound of pressure on parts moving with the crank: bearings, crank arms, pedals, or chain rings. But you've changed all that and the click is still there, right? It can't be a slightly irregular chain link and still happen only at 6 oclock. Gotta be something moving with the crank. It only occurs when the crank is over stressed while pedaling out of the saddle. A twisted or chipped chain ring tooth? Chain rubbing on front derailleur cage? That's where I'd start looking.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ticking would have to be induced by pressure causing something to hit something else. Rider has to be sitting on the saddle to make it tick. Out of the saddle there's no pressure on any part above the seat tube-BB junction, so the saddle and seatpost components are swinging freely back and forth, and there'd be no ticking.

Old Chipper, if the crank ticks at 6 oclock, well, it's the sound of pressure on parts moving with the crank: bearings, crank arms, pedals, or chain rings. But you've changed all that and the click is still there, right? It can't be a slightly irregular chain link and still happen only at 6 oclock. Gotta be something moving with the crank. It only occurs when the crank is over stressed while pedaling out of the saddle. A twisted or chipped chain ring tooth? Chain rubbing on front derailleur cage? That's where I'd start looking.
You would think so except the bike frame is a connected structure so pressure on the BB affects the whole frame plus of course when riding out of the saddle, you're pushing/pulling on the bars etc. I've had almost the exact same issue on my wife's bike and tracked it down to a worn headset. Already replaced that on my bike that's making the noise with no joy.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
You would think so except the bike frame is a connected structure so pressure on the BB affects the whole frame plus of course when riding out of the saddle, you're pushing/pulling on the bars etc. I've had almost the exact same issue on my wife's bike and tracked it down to a worn headset. Already replaced that on my bike that's making the noise with no joy.
Sure, rocking the bike back and forth while out of the saddle would induce creaks in the frame and headset, felt when the right pedal is up, like you say. And if its the chain ring, you'd probably feel it sitting as well, possibly not as loud. Chain rubbing on derailleur cage would still be suspect, though.

Something's flexing while standing up and not flexing while sitting down. Could you isolate the location by systematically moving around on the bike and note what elicits the ticking and what doesn't? And where the sound seems to be coming from on the bike?

Man, good luck. Oh, check the wheel magnet!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.