Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking at a bike on ebay, it is a 58cm Ridgeback Genesis Day 03.

I am 178cm tall, my last road bike (Ridgeback Genesis Day 02) was a 56cm and fit me very well, but will this new bike be too bike for me?

It's only 2 cm bigger, with 1cm extra top tube, so i guess it'll be ok.

I also assume that i could just put a shorter stem on it if it does turn out to be too long for me. Am I correct in this assumption???

thanks

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm a guy and I'm 181cm tall and a 56 cm bike is perfect for me. 58cm is way too big and I wouldn't ride it. You don't want to start swapping stems because there's other geometry coming into play. You swap stems when you buy the right size bike but there's a problem with flexibility.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Round numbers

the_don said:
I am 178cm tall, my last road bike (Ridgeback Genesis Day 02) was a 56cm and fit me very well, but will this new bike be too bike for me?
Without a lot more information, you might as well be asking what shoe size to pick based on your height. What's your cycling inseam? How much clearance did you have on the 56. And of course you need to do some research to make sure that both bikes use the same measuring convention when reporting their seat tube length (center to center, center to top, and some even use center to top of seat lug).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.