Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to attach a visor to the Giro Atmos or Ionos?

I know Lance Armstrong probably had his specially made for it but then when I further examined the helmets, there doesn't seem to be a slot to insert the visors anyway like the Giro Pneumo has.

So, doesn't that mean that the visors are just attached to the helmet 'normally' then?

If so, has anyone tried it? I can't use a cycling cap coz it's too darned hot/humid here but I'd like the extra shade the visor would give on very hot/bright days. This is to also prevent my face from getting sunburned of course. Oh and, it's also for the heavy rain so that the water doesn't go into the eyes all that much.

Thanks.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Dood... don't do it. Get a cap and cut the top out of it or something.

joe

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't do it? Why??

Oh, I don't want it permanently there - I want to be able to attach and detach it as and when I need to actually.

Like, can't you just get a Giro visor maybe or something?

//Guess it's not as easy as I thought.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
uzziefly said:
If so, has anyone tried it? I can't use a cycling cap coz it's too darned hot/humid here but I'd like the extra shade the visor would give on very hot/bright days.
Back in the summer when I was climbing mountains in 95+ heat, my cycling cap was a must-have accessory. Keeping the sun out of my face kept me cooler than anything else.

That, and maybe you should put a few tabs of HTFU in your Accelerade.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Back in the summer when I was climbing mountains in 95+ heat, my cycling cap was a must-have accessory. Keeping the sun out of my face kept me cooler than anything else.

That, and maybe you should put a few tabs of HTFU in your Accelerade.
Well, 95 here would be like a 110 over there with the humidity.

It's also for when I ride in the downpours so that less water would go into my eyes when I ride.

Of course, it doesn't help that I get burned pretty easily, even with sunblock.

Guess I'll stick to the cap. (Longer hair does not help keeping you cool as well unfortunately)

//I don't drink accelerade. How's that?!

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
I wonder if they attach with 2 sided tape?

Why are you people so frakking offended by MTB helmets? That's all I own.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Used to be that you could buy and aftermarket visor that attached with velcro. Don't know if they sell them anymore, tho.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bikeboy389 said:
Used to be that you could buy and aftermarket visor that attached with velcro. Don't know if they sell them anymore, tho.
Exactly what I was thinking!

Or the double sided tape maybe.

Now, to see if I manage to buy a visor from a shop. This should make for some fun/frustrating shopping.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
uzziefly said:
Exactly what I was thinking!

Or the double sided tape maybe.

Now, to see if I manage to buy a visor from a shop. This should make for some fun/frustrating shopping.
With such heat and humidity--double sided tape will probably either not work...or fail at an incredibly inconvenient time.

Lots of helmets use platic studs on the visor to mount the helmet into predrilled holes/depressions into the helmet...that is probably a better bet for working.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Room 1201 said:
With such heat and humidity--double sided tape will probably either not work...or fail at an incredibly inconvenient time.

Lots of helmets use platic studs on the visor to mount the helmet into predrilled holes/depressions into the helmet...that is probably a better bet for working.
So, I should buy a new helmet, aka the Pneumo?

But I'm sure Lance's Ionos doesn't have a pre drilled hole for the visor from what I saw and that's why I was keen on trying out a similar thing for my Atmos perhaps.

//Not looking to get a new helmet coz I won't use that much I'm sure, other than in the rain or when I ride around the really hot times. Would be nice to have this option available. And, it seems like a cool 'project' so to speak.

///If not, well, I'll just not bother I suppose.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Get a pneumo, my wife has one and like it well enough. Problem solved.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
uzziefly said:
So, I should buy a new helmet, aka the Pneumo?

But I'm sure Lance's Ionos doesn't have a pre drilled hole for the visor from what I saw and that's why I was keen on trying out a similar thing for my Atmos perhaps.

//Not looking to get a new helmet coz I won't use that much I'm sure, other than in the rain or when I ride around the really hot times. Would be nice to have this option available. And, it seems like a cool 'project' so to speak.

///If not, well, I'll just not bother I suppose.
Well, you're looking at (gingerly) drilling holes into a helmet-and you'd need to find a helmet visor that follows the shape of whatever helmet you're wanting to modify.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Room 1201 said:
Well, you're looking at (gingerly) drilling holes into a helmet-and you'd need to find a helmet visor that follows the shape of whatever helmet you're wanting to modify.
Yeah I guess the idea of working on this little project is more fun than actually having to do it. Looks like I'll scrap this plan.

Maybe I'll check for closeout deals on the Pneumo and if I can get em for a steal, I may just buy one.

Or do what I've been doing all these while and just slather sunscreen on my face, wipe my eyes in the heavy rain. No real problems other than inconvenience and the occasional sunburn.

Thanks for the info nonetheless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.