Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k, thx, I thought they got bought out by someone a few years back but could be wrong.

· Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
Used to be, with Schwinn

My last road frame was a Schwinn Homegrown Fastback, made by Yeti while both were under the Pacific umbrella. Somebody on these pages had the whole story. Don't think its the case any more.

· Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
Sablotny said:
My last road frame was a Schwinn Homegrown Fastback, made by Yeti while both were under the Pacific umbrella. Somebody on these pages had the whole story. Don't think its the case any more.
Right; in 1995, John Parker, founder of Yeti, sold the company to Scott Sports Group which was Schwinn's parent company at the time. Schwinn used Yeti and its technology to create the Homegrown bikes, but in 1998 Scott Sports put Schwinn (including Yeti) on the market, and Schwinn joined with GT Bicycles to form Schwinn/GT Corporation.

In 1999, Schwinn/GT closed the Yeti factory in Durango and Yeti was sold to Volant which moved the company to a purpose-built factory in Golden, so by the time Pacific Cycle purchased Schwinn/GT out of bankruptcy in September, 2001, Yeti was owned by Volant.

In November 2001, Yeti was purchased from Volant by a group of employees. Today, it remains owned by people who care about the company and independent of any large parent corporation.

So Yeti was never owned by Pacific Cycle.

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, this is some great info, thanks! Glad to here that Yeti is back on their feet, I know back in the 90s they had great bikes.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
DRLski said:
I know back in the 90s they had great bikes.
They still do, I love my 575. The new 575 & ASR's are awesome bikes. And their customer service is one of the best in the industry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.