Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if i will have issue mounting 700c tires on a 29" rim? reason is i found a set of wheels that would fit my cross bike build great and they are a 29" rim. i have never tried it myself and from what i have researched the ERD of 700c and 29" are really close. any info is appreciated

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Wondering if i will have issue mounting 700c tires on a 29" rim? reason is i found a set of wheels that would fit my cross bike build great and they are a 29" rim. i have never tried it myself and from what i have researched the ERD of 700c and 29" are really close. any info is appreciated
You're slightly confused, but basically more correct than you realize. ERD is irrelevant. That's a measurement (effective rim diameter) for determining spoke length. The relevant parameter here is BSD - bead seat diameter. And 700C and 29" are indeed really close -- in fact, they're identical. A 29er wheel is a 700C wheel used on a mountain bike. The confusing terminology was invented by some marketing bozo.

The only thing you need to consider is the rim width versus the tire width, but that's really pretty flexible, so not that difficult to get to work.

And, yeah, what Mike said. You're poking the hornet's nest posting a wheel question here and specifically calling on CXWrench. But I think you did it on purpose ;-)

·
Registered
456 Posts
As long as the hub spacing is correct for your cross bike then yes, the MTB wheels will work just fine on it.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
As long as the hub spacing is correct for your cross bike then yes, the MTB wheels will work just fine on it.
OP isn't the only confused one. :D

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Care to explain? I don't see any indication of confusion in that comment.
Except that it had absolutely nothing to do with the question.

I'll spell it out for you. OP already knows:

i found a set of wheels that would fit my cross bike build great
and wants to know the answer to this:

Wondering if i will have issue mounting 700c tires on a 29" rim?
You both need to attend my remedial comprehension class after school.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Except that it had absolutely nothing to do with the question.

I'll spell it out for you. OP already knows:

and wants to know the answer to this:

You both need to attend my remedial comprehension class after school.
Oh, he didn't respond to exactly what was asked. Oh the horror. Not sure you needed to be a douche in response to what was clearly a comment just trying to help but if it makes you happy by all means have at it.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Oh, he didn't respond to exactly what was asked. Oh the horror. Not sure you needed to be a douche in response to what was clearly a comment just trying to help but if it makes you happy by all means have at it.
I'll just sit back and invite our readers to comment on our relative doucheness on this important issue.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'll just sit back and invite our readers to comment on our relative doucheness on this important issue.
I think this got nasty for no reason.

Responding that the hub spacing might be different was reasonable. The OP did state that the wheels would fit his frame but that's a somewhat vague comment and it's not clear that the OP would think about spacing when he/she wasn't all that specific. So reasonable response.

And yes, julio, your reply got snarky, no reason for it.

We maybe need to remember that these replies come up in search queries, and while the OP might indeed be aware of hub spacing, somebody reading a year from now might not, thus a useful tidbit of info.

My $.02

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
I'll spell it out for you... You both need to attend my remedial comprehension class... if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
what happened to you that you repeatedly act like this?

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Better By Bicycle: A simple guide on the essentials of wheels, rims and tyres

article said:
Most adult road and utility bikes now have "700C" wheels with 622mm rim diameters. There are two smaller, common sizes (often used for mountain bikes): 650B (584mm) and 26inch (559mm). Mountain bikes also have a large 622mm version (confusingly known as a 29er). But, basically, there are only 3 common wheel sizes which you can consider as Large (622mm rim diameter), Medium (584mm) and Small (559mm).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I DO have a job you know. And yes, the OP is a lazy slacker for not posting in the correct section. Get with it bubba.
hahaha ill do better next time and post in the correct section,
my bad guys.

Cavila answered my question pretty dead on and i learned i was using the wrong term, so thanks for the info!

I know my hub spacing and it all matches up, thanks for the reminder though.

And i dont regret posting in the wrong section because i got a laugh out of the first two replies. and thanks to all of those that answered

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
hahaha ill do better next time and post in the correct section,
my bad guys.

Cavila answered my question pretty dead on and i learned i was using the wrong term, so thanks for the info!

I know my hub spacing and it all matches up, thanks for the reminder though.

And i dont regret posting in the wrong section because i got a laugh out of the first two replies. and thanks to all of those that answered

The internet is a harsh place, isn't it? :eek:

OP, your original question was will your 700c tires fit your new 29er wheels? If you check Sheldon Brown's page below, you will see they ARE the same size which is ISO 622:

Tire Sizing Systems

Will they fit? The only other possible issues are width and hub spacing which JCavila and TJay successfully answered before this thread went into the gutter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.