Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the past week I've been busily migrating everything over to my new MacIntel, and I can say without reservations: this thing is da bomb. I adore the OSX interface and anticipate that the only reason I'll be using the XP side will be to do photoshop processing (ima loser, my PS is in Windoze and I ain't spending another $800, nohow). plus a couple random non-convertible legacy tasks (like downloading my Powertap).

the only fly in the ointment is that my cheap-o-rific USB hub got b0rked. just up and died yesterday. worked great up till then.

I'm not so worried about transportability. I just need a hub that will work with the various USB devices I use when I'm 'docked' at my desk. probably need 4-6 outlets, tho I believe I can solve a couple by using a bluetooth keyboard / trackball... ooo wireless, whatta concept! the MacIntel is intended as a desktop replacement, and so far (besides the b0rked hub) it works flawlessly on both the OSX and XP side. Like most notebooks tho, it only has 2 USB outlets plus a firewire port.

I welcome suggestions from all you Mac daddies (and mommas) on board.

G

·
I have 3 D-Link hubs attached to my MAC. $ ports on each one. No problems with any of them so far.

I also. have two 4 port Belkin Firewire expander hubs. I have fried 2 of those so far so stick with D link if you can.

·
Registered
581 Posts
oops

i thought you were talkin bout "mack daddy's" not mac daddies

cuz i am a "mack daddy" but not a mac daddy

big difference

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha!

i heart riding said:
i thought you were talkin bout "mack daddy's"
big difference
yep, I know. I was being funny on purpose. sorry about that. besides, you gotta cute girlie who keeps ya happy, no? count your blessings. morning nookie is nothing to be sneered at.

what size bike you ride?

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toomanybikes said:
I have 3 D-Link hubs attached to my MAC. $ ports on each one. No problems with any of them so far.

I also. have two 4 port Belkin Firewire expander hubs. I have fried 2 of those so far so stick with D link if you can.
thanks, I've heard others say Dlink are the way to go. you have yours daisy-chained or what?

·
Registered
581 Posts
ya i kno u were kiddin!!!!

lonefrontranger said:
yep, I know. I was being funny on purpose. sorry about that. besides, you gotta cute girlie who keeps ya happy, no? count your blessings. morning nookie is nothing to be sneered at.

what size bike you ride?

i tend to go a lil heavy on the sarcasm...........

i ride 56 all day long

and yes.............morning nookie is a beautiful thing.........

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
lonefrontranger said:

what size bike you ride?
Morning anything is nothing to be sneered at... If the puter and the router work and Mr. Bill hasn't invented or opened the door to another plague and I can get to my email and RBR I'm happy. After my last bout with Bill and a PC/notebook there is definately a Mac on the horizon... But, I ain't using bootcamp! NO MS/BS on the new one! I'll suffer through it.

As for the other... I should be so lucky! :p

Been a long, long time since.... never mind! :(

EDB

·
Registered
581 Posts
everydaybike said:
As for the other... I should be so lucky! :p

Been a long, long time since.... never mind! :(

EDB

dam....................tear...........thats a crying shame...............:(

·
Registered
581 Posts
so......

everydaybike said:
It is... it is! :(:(

i guess you spend a lotta time in the podium girls forum too....................*wink

·
Registered
205 Posts
I haven't been to apple in a while, but there are macs now that are half XP and half OSX. Can you access files from one side on the other and vice versa, how does the whole thing work???? Does this system come in the 12.1 powerbook?

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
moose8500 said:
Can you access files from one side on the other and vice versa, how does the whole thing work???? Does this system come in the 12.1 powerbook?
you need one of the new MacBook Pros or iMacs running the Intel processors. Spendy but fabulous.

You can indeed access files from one side to the other and so far I've had no compatibility issues. This is why I have a monstrous external hard drive.

On a Boot Camp install on a MacBook Pro like mine, you can't run both OS's simultaneously. this is a *good* thing, because it means you're not running a virtualiser, which slows everything down. Also if XP decides to take a crap, you can still boot up and run the OSX side with no troubles (I've seen someone do this after XP went down in a flaming freeze).

there's also a beta called Parallels out there to dual-boot simultaneously. This has caused some folks' fancy new $3K MacIntels blow up in new and interesting ways, so I'd recommend against it.

it goes without saying that all of this stuff is a) currently in beta and b) completely unsupported by Apple. meaning they won't help you if your XP stuff blows up yer Mac.

G

·
lonefrontranger said:
thanks, I've heard others say Dlink are the way to go. you have yours daisy-chained or what?
Yes, means I get 3 ports on each hub - but they work.

Invest in a good power bar as well, one with a Circuit breaker.

I am going to have to add another hard drive, I'm thinking I'll buy a 250 GB this time, means another D-Link hub and probably another power bar ( those are daisy chained as well).

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i heart riding said:
i ride 56 all day long.
crap. you just ain't the right size (and I mean that in the nicest of ways ;) ). Me x was lookin' to find his old Cannondale a new zipcode. unfortunately he rides a 60.

the old can'o'snails ain't the most faboo thing ever to grace the tuesday night crit, but it runs, and it's won races even. and I don't think he wants more than 2 bills for it. too bad you aren't a tad leggier... well not THAT leg... the other ones... nevermind.

and I <3 sarcasm, boyo. keep it comin.

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
moose8500 said:
I haven't been to apple in a while, but there are macs now that are half XP and half OSX. Can you access files from one side on the other and vice versa, how does the whole thing work???? Does this system come in the 12.1 powerbook?
I think it is basically a dual boot system... you have a menu that pops up when you start and you can either boot from the mac/unix or boot from XP/?

IBM had an operating system OS2, which by the way was based on the original code from Mr. Bill's "Windows", that allowed you to install both OS2 and Bill's curse. At start up, you could choose which one you wanted to use. OS2 was far superior in the sense that you had complete control ov your system andif a program crashed, it was in a virtual environment and did not corrupt the entire system unlike MS programs that used shared resourses and could take it all down. If the Bootcamp options are similar then you can read the data but it will be limited to OS specific programs. I'm still researching the options but I know for a fact that I am sick of Bill's ownership of my puter via OS and software. I just went thought an ordeal with XP and Gateway where incompatible hardware and software were installed and slowly it corrupted all of my data inculding the regular backups and made it all moot! Lost 2 years worth of data that I migrated to the new laptop because the backups and the system that created them were flawed. Fortunately, being an old skool dinosaur, I have a network with three different puters and from past experience learned to hide everything that was important on multiple HDs on multiple machines... Lost some but most was saved simply because I am a skeptic and don't trust Bill at all.

Long story, short version... Mac is next! Unix = U-Nix! Ask or don't even think about it!

IMHO and dinosaur brain!

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
correct on all counts

yes, bootcamp is indeed a dual boot application. when you boot the machine, to switch OS, just hold the option key and it'll bring up the partitions with the OS labels.

the scary part is / was partitioning the HD. fortunately the instructions were pretty clear.

and yes, some data will be limited to OS specific applications. but the big'uns for me are the Office apps, and those you can open in OSX.

and photo / image / multimedia files. those are all cross-compatible and that's a big deal for me. I can pull all my photos across from where I have to process them (XP, cos my photoshop is Windoze) and do everything I want with them within OSX which is far easier for blogging / web apps, bla bla. oh and OSX plays way nicer with music files, etc.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts