Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some breakdowns are unavoidable.

Since I live so close to my work (13 minutes) I take a longer route way out of my way to get a ride in (65 minutes). This ride takes me along the Don River in Toronto on a great bike path. Just before I got on the bike path, my Shimano single speed freewheel didn't catch on two occasions, so I made a note to myself to lube it up when I got home.

All of a sudden on the bike path I was pedaling and not going anywhere, the freewheel completely died. I was too far from home to go back and not even close to work, so I had to start walking my bike.

Normally I would have just locked my bike somewhere and taken the wheel back and fixed it but I don't carry locks as I leave two locks at work so I don't have to carry them. Don't have a cell phone, as I am Luddite when it comes to cell phones. My only choice was to start walking. I walked to the closest subway which took over an hour and then home.

On my other bike I put on a White Industries freewheel, and as good as it is, this thing is loud! So I kind of liked my Shimano on my rain bike, nice and quiet. In hindsight maybe a mistake. But then again if I had a fixed cog on the other side of my ENO flip flop, I would have a bailout for a failed freewheel. (But I really am a single speeder and have never tried fixed)

Put another Shimano on the I had kicking around but I am going to order another White Industries. I am not complaining about the Shimano, it was on there for about a year and I rode it all winter and it was a long winter.

Live and learn I guess. There is a bright side and that is at least it didn't rain on me, though they called for showers.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
that's the thing about shimano fws... they crap out eventually, and you never know when. I had one die in a ss mtb race, then it came back after messing with it... went right into the trash when I got home. to me the reliability of the ENO is insurance well worth the premium

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.