Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100817/ap_on_re_us/us_mindset_list

For students entering college this fall, e-mail is too slow, phones have never had cords and the computers they played with as kids are now in museums.

The Class of 2014 thinks of Clint Eastwood more as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry urging punks to "go ahead, make my day." Few incoming freshmen know how to write in cursive or have ever worn a wristwatch.

These are among the 75 items on this year's Beloit College Mindset List. The compilation, released Tuesday, is assembled each year by two officials at this private school of about 1,400 students in Beloit, Wis.

The list is meant to remind teachers that cultural references familiar to them might draw blank stares from college freshmen born mostly in 1992.

Of course, it can also have the unintended consequence of making people feel old.

Remember when Dr. Jack Kevorkian, Dan Quayle or Rodney King were in the news? These kids don't.

Ever worry about a Russian missile strike on the U.S.? During these students' lives, Russians and Americans have always been living together in outer space.
Stupid kids making me feel old. :mad:

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
To make matters worse they are probably the ones that are going to run us down in their car full of techy stuff while sending a text, listening to their Iphone, and surfing the internet all at the same time.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Ridgetop said:
To make matters worse they are probably the ones that are going to run us down in their car full of techy stuff while sending a text, listening to their Iphone, and surfing the internet all at the same time.
That, and they're the ones who have to support us when we get Social Security.

We're screwed.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I'll bet most of them don't even know what a corgi is....

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
This year's list doesn't seem to get to me like previous years. I guess I'm getting into the acceptance stage of aging.

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,112 Posts

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
My son is in the class of 2014 and I am sad to say that a lot of this stuff is true. The thing about not being able to write in cursive freaks me out....he signs his name in sort of a pseudo-print, but it's definitely not cursive. A couple years ago our printer broke so I had him use my old typewriter for a school assignment, and he didn't know how to make it work. When we were thinking about getting tickets to see Billy Joel & Elton John in concert, he said "Who are they?" The list goes on and on, and so do I....a rambling old man. Damn kids.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Also, phones are for texting; talking is what old, annoying people do on them.
Mountain bikes have always existed, and they've always had suspension.

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
787 Posts
azpeterb said:
My son is in the class of 2014 and I am sad to say that a lot of this stuff is true. The thing about not being able to write in cursive freaks me out....he signs his name in sort of a pseudo-print, but it's definitely not cursive. A couple years ago our printer broke so I had him use my old typewriter for a school assignment, and he didn't know how to make it work. When we were thinking about getting tickets to see Billy Joel & Elton John in concert, he said "Who are they?" The list goes on and on, and so do I....a rambling old man. Damn kids.
Your kid isn't the only one! I'm 31, I can't write in cursive, and my signature is a type of pseudo-print. :thumbsup:

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Hm. I'm class of 2014, but I have trouble NOT using cursive.

Guess I'm old too.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
Sun Burn said:
Your kid isn't the only one! I'm 31, I can't write in cursive, and my signature is a type of pseudo-print. :thumbsup:
I'm 28, and I hardly ever write in cursive. Mostly because I write incredibly small and with cursive it gets completely illegible.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
azpeterb said:
I never "got" cursive, it was a thing you were supposed to do but everyone hated it and it sure didn't improve legibility. My mother was of the generation that had cursive more or less beat into them and her shopping lists looked like they were written in Arabic. We frequently got yelled at for bringing home the wrong items from the grocer's. Huzzah for cursive!

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
They don't know how to address an envelope either. I like for my son to mail "thank you notes" to relatives who gave him gifts rather than just e-mailing them, and I had to teach him how to address an envelope. Yikes.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Sumguy1 said:
Sorta...

These are Corgis too and the first things I thought of when I read " I'll bet most of them don't even know what a corgi is...."

http://www.corgi.co.uk/

I didn't know they still existed. Still have all mine.
I have a couple of mine that I passed along to my son.

I also bought him the James Bond Car and Old School Batmobile last year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts